same

is Paxolin the same as bakerlight ? ...

Reply to
Jimmy Stewart ...

bakerlight?

Is this so bakers can see their dough in the dark during a power cut?

Dunno - isn't Paxolin some kind of sage and onion stuffing?

Reply to
Andy Bennet

Wrong group again?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

No, not if my memory serves me right.

Paxolin is the sort of stuff that tag boards and early printed circuit boards were made of. I.e. it's brown and sort of laminated.

Bakolite is an early plastic that was used to make moulded items like plugs etc. It's often dark brown but doesn't have to be, it's quite hard and doesn't melt, it chars if you make it very hot and smells.

Reply to
Chris Green

NO

Reply to
jon

"bakelite". Used for radio cases, telephones, etc.

Reply to
charles

ebay spelling

Reply to
Jimmy Stewart ...

no no

Reply to
Jimmy Stewart ...

thanks

Reply to
Jimmy Stewart ...

Indeed. Officially I think it is SRBP

Synthetic Resin Bonded Paper industrial laminate

Available in two grades, only one being suitable for high voltage applications.

When GEC took over AEI, guess who built a set of AC locomotive 25 kV tapchangers with the wrong grade, because of different factory norms. There was a bit of a bang! :-(

For greater physical strength there is also SRBF, which has fabric reinforcement.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

Synthetic Resin Bonded Paper, I think.

Reply to
Bob Eager

I think it is made from layer of paper.

It's also very brittle. Would say not suitable for a PCB etc. Best quality ones of those these days are glass fibre.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

ta much

Reply to
Jimmy Stewart ...

Ah, the nostalgic smell of junior hacksaw on veroboard ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

hated veroboard...nothing I ever made with it worked ......

Reply to
Jimmy Stewart ...

aka FR2, I think

aka FR4

Reply to
Andy Burns

I'm assuming here that while the name Bakolite has been used this refers to the more common term Bakelite? The difference being through confusion of trade marks.

While Bakelite is a resin, the items we see called Bakelite are actually also a moulded laminate though can be any filler.

Paxolin is a normally a sheet with paper as the filler material, or SRBP.

Reply to
Fredxx

Ah bakelite.....!

Its the trade name for phenolic resin which is made by a reaction between phenol and formaldehyde.

Was developed around the 1910's by Leo Hendrik Baekeland following previous work by Adolf Von Baeyer and the General Bakelite company was founded in 1910.

I recall many old TVs would have SRBP, which cost a few pennies less than SRBF. It was always single sided with a few wire links for those difficult routes. No plated through holes and lots of dry joints!

I can't recall the last time I saw a SRBP board.

Reply to
Fredxx