OT:Lakeland Dual Basket Air Fryer

Lakeland Dual Basket Air Fryer

As it's Xmas can I ask if anybody has one of these and what they think of it please. They are back in stock but I can't find any independent reviews which seems a bit odd.

Happy New Year :-)

Reply to
Jeff Gaines

Don't have one, but there is a hopefully unbiased review here:

Richard

The links given don't take us to a dual basket air fryer

Reply to
Murmansk

Air fryers are a fancy name for a small oven. Id rather have a large one

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Which would make a lot of sense if electricity was free…

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

They are in fact quite different in detail to full sized ovens.

More fool you with the energy required to cook a meal for one.

I don't even do a roast leg of lamb in a large one anymore.

Reply to
chop

Nope, even if electricity was free, an air fryer is a lot more convenient to use than a large oven. The only thing I find that is any better in a large oven is a full sized turkey which I never cook and pizzas. The pizzas are a lot crisper on the bottom than when done in the air fryer. Roast legs of lamb are fine. A full sized turkey is too big for an air fryer.

Reply to
chop

There was a repeat recently of a programme on Radio 4 called Sliced Bread, about air fryers, that might be of interest

They are not just small ovens, they warm up much more quickly and blast the food with hot air at a much greater speed and from much closer to the food than a convection oven.

Reply to
Murmansk

I happened to catch that: they did some energy measurements and the bottom line was that energy consumption was half or less compared with an oven, when doing (separately) roast chicken and baked potatoes.

Theo

Reply to
Theo

Foreskin Peeler must be on holiday.

Reply to
inri

How can you have a digital Air frier?

Whenever I hear that I think touch screen and hence inaccessible to anyone with poor sight, ie the very members of the community who might like it, the elderly and blind. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

If you're buying an air fryer, look at Tefal Actifry. It's quite different in that it gently stirs/tumbles the food so it cooks evenly. I don't think anyone else does that, probably some IP issue.

Reply to
Clive Arthur

Yes, I listened to that, mildly optimistic but on the whole bears out my experience. Plus food tastes better.

The only time I've used the main oven this year was the other day for xmas. If I need something in between I use the microwave/grill/oven combo.

Reply to
RJH

For frying digits, of course.

mind you, the only didts I've seen for sale as food are Fish Fingers

Reply to
charles

I can't prove it, but I suspect like vacuum cleaners and light bulbs "they" have dialled down the power output of ovens over time. Pretty certain my parents New World gas cooker of the 70s produced better results than the electric thing we have today.

And if you know what you are doing, cooking, you will know that 30 minutes at 300C is not the same as 60 minutes at 150.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

I'm surprised you've never seen Cadbury's fingers. And they are sold battered and fried.

Reply to
Robin

We have the *Ninja* version. Catering dept. seem pleased with the performance. The illustration shows a nicely browned Chicken but the compartments will only suit a small bird.

Scare story from our cleaning lady about possible fire risk in the event of a restored power supply after a disconnection.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

I suspect you#'re right, my oven's maximum temperature is 200.

Reply to
Jeff Gaines

Thank you for all the responses :-)

I find it odd that there seem to be no reviews of the Lakeland Dual Basket Air Fryer, it sold out rapidly, came back at a higher price then dropped down to the original price which is why I was considering it.

I looked at the Tefal Actifry as suggested by Clive Arthur (thank you) and thought that would do the trick BUT once I looked at the reviews I realised the 2 in 1 is actually a 1 after 1 - you can only start the top part once the bottom part is cooked, that's one of the value of reviews to me.

My standard meal is a couple of chops and a jacket potato so if I can find a more economical way to cook them than the big oven I'd like to but I think I need some sort of dual fryer as I'm not sure I'd want to put them in the same compartment.

I will keep thinking....

Reply to
Jeff Gaines