Air Fryer Savings

=_Part_0_83880946.1685673292544 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1 Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

Mine doesn't have drawers, It's an 11L Tower and has a drop down door and wire shelves like the main oven. It will take a Supermarket pizza.

It also comes with a rotisserie which we haven't used yet, the mountings for the shaft limits where you can position the wire shelves

Reply to
Graham.

=_Part_0_13863113.1685698912802 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1 Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

Air fryers arent ideal for pizza, they dont get hot enough.

The temp setting goes up to 200deg, the same as the kitchen oven. I haven't meaured it with a thermocouple probe, but the short duty cycle once it has warmed up indicates it is not struggling.

Reply to
Graham.

Well please with all the Electricity i am saving with my £35 air fryer. Which is essentially a very small fan oven great for meat, fish, chips etc.

The grill under the food gets a bit gummed up with burnt bits like the grill on a barbeque. So it's a pain to clean. Since its so charred up, is there really any need to keep cleaning it for Health Reasons?

Reply to
john curzon

Google air fryer liners.

Reply to
Colin Bignell

i thought to get good air circulation it had to be on a grill ( which they provide). So the hot air could pass around everything freely not a restrictive dish type thing ?

Reply to
john curzon

Not got an air fryer (no oven either: rely on a microwave and a George Foreman type grill - sadly there's only me these days) but am thinking I might get one. What make is yours?

As for cleaning the grill for health reasons, I would have thought it would get hot enough to be self-sterilising, if bacteria were your concern.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Yes the paper liners do obstruct the reflected air flow up through the perforated base and also the paper folds over blocking some airflow on the top of the food, but it does save cleaning every time you use it.

Reply to
inri

I use disposable liners, made from baking paper, which have holes in the bottom for the air flow. The removable plates provided with the fryer still need an occasional wipe, but the liners keep them a lot cleaner.

Reply to
Colin Bignell

For a single person, you might try the small Salter one. We use one in our motorhome - mainly as it is lower power than the one we have at home.

The ‘basket’ is limited so you couldn’t fit much in it but certainly for basics - even for two- it is fine.

Reply to
Brian

We using silicone ones, also with holes. They just wash.

That said, I cooked something a week or so back - a hamhock - which I put in a small tray as I expected it to release juices etc. There was plenty of room left for the air to circulate. It worked fine. I just turned the hock over about have way through and used the fan oven settings slightly shortened-by a few minutes.

Reply to
Brian

I have a Cosori 5.5 litre air fryer, chosen because it has a single large basket. It is loaded with presets for all kinds of foods, none of which I use because I go on experience. That said, I always use ‘pre-heat’ and sometimes use the ‘keep warm’ facility. One or two diy presets might have been useful.

The basket sits under the flat-spiral heating element with the fan above it; the basket has many vertical louvred slits for air circulation and holes in its base. Fluted paper liners can interfere with the air flow and so extend cooking times a little.

Preheat is important as it stops the heating element from blasting the food with IR radiation when starting from cold. For this reason care needs to be taken when cooking food on an aftermarket grid, as it is much nearer the heating element than when placed at the bottom of the basket.

Cooking food is a balance of the relationships between where the food is placed (on the bottom of the basket or on a grid), the temperature, and the time (which is why I don’t use the presets).

Having said that, it cooks fish perfectly, and roasts vegetables well. In the four months we’ve had it, we’ve used the main oven twice. I cooked sweet potato chips in it once as a trial, and they came out fine.

The basket and its carrier are easily washed, or popped in the dishwasher if it’s not too full.

I see Amazon have it for a fiver less than we paid, and they sold more than

2000 in the last month.
Reply to
Spike

I looked at those and decided against them, as I had to wash them :-)

Reply to
Colin Bignell

I have a dual drawer Salter-EK4548 which was describes as non-stick. However, it really isn't. Salter have replaced one drawer under warranty because the coating was peeling and I am awaiting two shelves as they just aren't non-stick. I certainly wouldn't recommend this model.

Reply to
Jeff Gaines

I have one. The outer casing is plastic and when in use it gives off the smell of overheating electric cables, which I assume is coming from the hot plastic.

It gives me a migraine headache.

Reply to
Andrew

Not viable IME, essentially because they don't have holes for the airflow and if they did, they wouldnt fix the problem and would never line up with the holes in the grill anyway.

Reply to
Rod Speed

The ones I buy do.

and if they did, they wouldnt fix the problem

Doesn't seem to cause any problem.

Reply to
Colin Bignell

We’ve not noticed that, even in the confined space of a motorhome.

Reply to
Brian

But what do you cook in it ? Do you do crumbed meat which needs to be turned half way thru to get the best result crisp crumbs wise if there isnt adequate airflow ? I don't need to turn them when I don't use a liner.

But don't do all foods as well.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Sounds almost identical to our main (‘home’) one, which is a Proscenic - I’ve noticed the two look the same on various YouTube videos.

I tend not to use the various programmes but the preheat is useful.

The simple one we use in the MH lacks preheat so we set it to run empty for a few minutes.

It does pretty good roast potatoes. Perhaps not quite oven quality but I suspect you could fine them if you used the Delia method ( which we do if using the oven but not for the airfryer).

You can crisp uWave baked potatoes and get the ‘full oven’ effect in minutes.

I’ve not tried baking bread yet but it it is on my list.

Chicken drumsticks are a favourite chez nous. They are very easy.

Reply to
Brian

Usually the side dishes.

? Do you do crumbed meat

I would probably do something like that in the combination microwave.

Reply to
Colin Bignell