Air Fryer Savings

Depends on what you cook. Crumbed or battered meat needs a decent airflow over it to get a nice crisp surface. So does pastry as well.

Reply to
Rod Speed

That explains why it works for you.

Wouldnt for me because I mostly cook crumbed or battered main meal meat or the main meal meat wrapped in pastry.

I find the air fryer gives a much better result.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Graham. snipped-for-privacy@mail.com wrote

Air fryers arent ideal for pizza, they dont get hot enough.

Reply to
Rod Speed

I was wondering if they are more versatile. I like the idea of making mini pizzas - you can make a basic dough for the base from plain yogurt and flour which works quite well. Getting them in / out of the basket type, while not impossible, is a faff.

Reply to
Brian

Eh? Blast the food with - light? And that's harmful in some way?

Surely preheating is only needed for baking and caramelising?

Reply to
RJH

I think the airfryer is great about turning nice potato chips into stones,

Reply to
greymaus

I think the thing that’s hard to put across to those who don’t air fry is how much different the cooking method is to a conventional fan oven. Blasting hot air over the food gives a different ‘finish’ to the dish, which also cooks at a lower temperature and in a shorter time. Although that said, there are different forms of air fryer, which doubtless cook in slightly different ways, and different people cook different things, the trick being to find an air fryer that suits one’s ‘style’.

One that we looked at was essentially a small oven, which had quartz elements top and bottom. My preference is to cook using hot air rather than IR, so we didn’t go ahead with that style.

We eat a fair amount of fish, and our air fryer cooks them perfectly. It might be less good with other dishes, but that doesn’t really matter to us.

Reply to
Spike

Not if you like food that’s burnt on top.

Each to his own. I don’t bake or caramelise. I use preheat, and don’t get carbon’d food.

Reply to
Spike

I'd have thought the more messy it gets the less efficient it is and the more chance that the last meal taste is transferred to the current one. Here we are, we can land things on Mars, but not perfect an easy to clean heating element. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

go to the following website and have a look at this :-

ponyface

Then you are doing it wrong.

Reply to
Rod Speed

I think they are a fad missold on the basis they would reduce electricity when cooking isn't where you use it anyway.

Si far Ive seen Nutribullets, Airfryers, electric steak broilers and a dozen other pieces of kit that in the end, most people decide that they dont really like and didnt really need.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Brian Gaff snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote

Nope, messyness of the basket has no effect on the efficiency at all because they use hot air to cook the food.

You don't get that either.

In fact air fryers are just that. It the BASKET that gets messy.

Reply to
Rod Speed

My Air Fryer arrived on the 28 December 2022 and apart from three meals cooked in the oven (Lasagne) has been used every day since, most useful device I've ever bought (I am an old bloke living on my own).

Reply to
Jeff Gaines

Spot on. Got mine in February, used the main oven twice since then. I collect energy readings every month, and can confirm that the air fryer saves around £25 per month. It has now paid for itself. And the food cooks really well.

Reply to
Spike

Am 02/06/2023 um 09:41 schrieb Graham.:

I bake my pizza on the radiator.

I only eat traditional British food: pizza, curry, kebab.

Reply to
Ottavio Caruso

My Aga has been in daily use since 2002. The oven and cooker come free with its space heating ability

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I used a Rayburn for years - oven , cooker, radiators, and hot water. But the heat could be hard to control, and fuel costs kept rising. We replaced it with an exterior combi (oil-fired), and a 70cm Smeg dual-fuel cooker. Saved a fortune. I liked the Rayburn, and it's still sitting in the kitchen looking picturesque, but we couldn't afford to keep it running.

Reply to
S Viemeister

Cooking device, anyway.

Reply to
Rod Speed

You'd be wrong about that, as always.

Try that again in english. Even google translate doesnt do gobbledegook yet.

That isnt going to happen with air fryers and didnt with microwaves either.

Reply to
Rod Speed