Network DVD has gone bust :-(

I thought it was odd that their web site had stopped working today.

Reply to
NY

Sorry, wrong newsgroup

Reply to
NY

Its as good as any. People post all sorts here. Who were they, anyway? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

They were a creator and supplier of box sets of archive TV programmes from the 1950s onwards: they obtained rights to the masters (presumably having negotiated royalty payments) and created/supplied DVDs, either by their own mail-order or via Amazon etc.

I have a horrible feeling that a lot of programmes from the archives that would have been released will now languish unseen on the archive shelves.

Reply to
NY

Probably falling victim of the death of DVDs now that there are so many streaming services and fewer people having the equipment to play DVDs.

Reply to
alan_m

I'd imagine that the bulk of their stuff isn't available on streaming services.

I'd hope that the whole lot gets digitally archived - and open access would be nice.

Reply to
RJH

The recordings won't go lost. It will just take time until someone finds another way of making money out of punters to see them. Unlikely to be free.

Big business archiving things for onwards distribution to the masses.

"SEE HOW PERISCOPE FILM RESCUED A MASSIVE COLLECTION OF CELLULOID MOVIES FROM DESTRUCTION !"

Adrian Caspersz

It is a problem how to pay for all the hard work in preserving stuff and putting content online and elsewhere.

Youtube is full of stuff that used to cost money, but is essentially free, especially with a good ad blocker

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Well, I hope so. It does take at least some effort to archive from DVD and VHS, and some of that content does look, um, eclectic.

Nice one them, good work.

I've been trying to get what I reckon to be one of the best sitcoms of recent times - Bakersfield PD - but can't. I was sold a DVD with huge advert watermarks on the low res content, but accessing the original is proving impossible.

Reply to
RJH

Cough. The sort of people who bought these DVD's always had a DVD player.

What's happened in the last 3 years is that not only the DVD player had died, the operator of the DVD player has also probably snuffed it.

Reply to
Andrew

That's about it. My Blu-ray player and I are hanging on by a thread.

Reply to
Bob Henson

I think modern games consoles have a DVD player built in. My PS4 does.

The kids are, on this occasion, alright.

Reply to
RJH

Any computer can have a USB DVD reader plugged in.

And you can rip the DVD to other formats using HandBrake, stuff it on a server and dish it up via DLNA to your smart telly.

Ive got shit loads of ripped DVDs on my server and in many cases the original DVD too.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

But no longer one that plays SACD discs, which was a useful facility at some point in the past.

Reply to
Andrew

A falling customer base and if many people no longer have a DVD player no new custom.

Reply to
alan_m

Some foreign person has been posting some cleaned up and colored mostly ancient footage from even the 19th century as facebook video shorts and produces a brilliant result.

Corse none of that has any audio but it would be trivial to do that with the 20th century TV footage.

It appears to be an automated process.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Increasingly people are streaming this stuff. Probably someone will buy the archive, online it and charge a subscription

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Sounds like a job for Talking Pictures TV.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield Esq