OT - Digital camera and a Currys warranty

I wonder if any of the group could tell me if they have ever purchased one of the Currys warranty schemes that promise the earth if something goes wrong and how did they fare when they needed to use it - and is it really worth nearly ?200 for five years of cover?
Now the reason for asking.
I have recently bought a Canon 700D Digital Camera from the for a fair amount of cash to replace my old Canon 35mm film one which is covered by a two year manufacturers warranty (I am well versed on SoGA BTW) and refused the offer to buy a Currys warranty at the time of purchase (my usual reaction) and that was the end of it - or so I thought.
Now a couple of days ago, I received a nice letter and leaflet trying to persuade me to go against my instincts and buy the thing - and the problem is that having used the camera for a few weeks, and realising the complexity of it and any repairs to the electronics - I am now in two minds to actually by the warranty.
The camera cost around ?550, and replaced a Canon 35mm SLR so that I could be 'dragged into modern times' [1] - and I must admit, the facility to delete unwanted photo's, take photo's in the RAW format AND film HD video (and a few other nice tricks) is proving to be very useful for an old-timer.
[1] The words of No 1 son who thinks that I am an old dinosaur - cheeky sod!
Many thanks
Cash
"Cash" wrote in message

My Canon 30D, bought in 2006 has not yet failed me despite being dropped several times. Personally, I don't see the point in that £200 insurance.
On 19/09/2014 22:09, Cash wrote:

Might be worth looking for an insurance policy that covers the camera (and accessories?) rather than an over-priced Currys "warranty". I suspect that accidental damage is at least as likely as inherent problems. Or it might already be covered by your home policy - maybe by informing your insurer.
--
Rod

On 19/09/2014 22:09, Cash wrote:

My normal response to any sales droid trying to sell me breakdown insurance on any device such as a computer or camera for a significant proportion of its purchase price is to say "Well, if you reckon there's a 1 in 3 (Or whatever the ratio is) chance of it breaking down within three years, I'm not sure I *want* anything that's likely to break down that quickly." Then, if they persist, find another retailer.
The sales droid and the shop make a large commission on the sale of these policies, and you will almost always be better off putting the money aside towards either repair or replacement, especially for the plans that require a regular payment. How you personally regard the "almost" bit will probably affect your decision.
--
Tciao for Now!

John.
On 19/09/2014 22:09, Cash wrote:

We got the cover for MiL's tablet, and it's been claimed on.
If you're the sort of person who breaks things or the unlucky sort whose things fall apart, then it might be worth it. If you're careful and things last for a long time with you then it's almost certainly not worth it.
On 19/09/2014 22:09, Cash wrote:

Does the five years include the first year where there will be a manufacturers warranty?
There is always a risk that something might fail, but as there is a high profit margin on these type of warranties I always avoid them and expect to be better off in the long term. I have bought several cheaper digital cameras. Only the Ricoh has failed and it was repaired I think twice foc.
--
Michael Chare

On 19/09/14 23:49, Michael Chare wrote:

Manufacturer's standard warranty period is now two years? 1999/44/EC

Has anyone gone after these insurance companies for mis-selling?
--
Adrian C

On Fri, 19 Sep 2014 22:20:11 +0100, "Richard"

First dSLR I bought was a used Canon 10D - still working fine, although it's been kicked into touch for the last couple of years. Every make of dSLR has the odd lemon, but most of them seem to have held up well.

IME most electronic stuff fails right away or goes on for years. I only insure stuff I can't afford to replace (house) or whatI must legally (car). These insurance companies are there to make money out of you. You have consumer rights too.
No, if it were 75 quid I'd be tempted, but 200? Nah.
Brian
--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"Richard" < snipped-for-privacy@btinternet.com.invalid> wrote in message
And I bet your contents insurance can be made to cover portable equipment a jolly site cheaper than this cost, albeit aat some added cost for excess. Brian
--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"harryagain" < snipped-for-privacy@btinternet.com> wrote in message
On 20/09/2014 08:16, Brian Gaff wrote:

+1
On 20/09/14 09:27, stuart noble wrote:

Currys have almost no margin on a box-shift: all the profit and all the staff commission comes from the insurance
polygonum wrote:

I was thinking of that before Currys sent me their pretty leaflet. As for the camera being covered by my house insurance my old one (and four lenses) is covered for loss and accidental damage (new for old), but I have yet to add this one.
Cash
Michael Chare wrote:

There is a two years manufacturers warrant with it, so the cover would only be three years (and that's why I didn't opt for the warranty at the time of purchase).

Normally the 'failure risk' doesn't bother me as the cost of repairs seldom come anywhere near the cost of the 'warranties' that are supplied by the stores.
Cash
stuart noble wrote:

A agree Stuart and Brian, it's one of the main reasons that I seldom fork out for these things (I only have one going (for the first time in many, many years) and that's for the washing machine as I am now unable to pull the thing out from under the unit to repair it. Old age is a pain - and that's the same reason I had to call out a recovery firm to change a flat tyre a few days ago and that's the first time I have failed to change a flat in iver 50 years of driving!
Cash
Cash wrote:

Gentlemen, thank you for your replies to my post and it would seem that the consensus has reinforced my orginal instincts so, I shall give the Currys warranty a miss this time and consign their pretty leaflet and application to the jaws of the paper shredding machine.
Many thanks
Cash.
On Fri, 19 Sep 2014 23:49:57 +0100, Michael Chare

Ricoh repaired my other half's compact camera without quibble. This was good of them as hurling it several hundred feet down the side of a Spanish Mountain when you quickly whip a handkerchief out of your and the camera strap gets caught on a cuff button isn't really a warranty claim. Only wish it was set on timer as it flew over the path wall to catch the look on her face. Fortunately there were some mountaineers around who recovered it when it landed by them. We were honest with Ricoh who basically said ,OK as it's only a few weeks old we'll mend it.
G.Harman
On 19/09/2014 22:09, Cash wrote:

Your instincts were correct. The retailer is legally resopnsible for at least two years under European and UK law.
--
Peter Crosland

Reply address is valid
On Sunday, September 21, 2014 9:24:30 AM UTC+1, Peter Crosland wrote:

one

ly

y a

sed

lem

exity

ually

hat I could

eo

imer.

eky

My own view is that these electronic cameras depreciate so fast, like a sto ne falling, that its not going to be worth that much in 5 years time anywa y and it will likely be hopelessly out of date.
I've been using digital cameras for over 20 years now, and apart from a Min olta model, none have given any trouble. Canon are a good make. I wouldn't worry.