digital camera repairs

The first trick after taking the obligatory shot from the holiday hotel balcony was to drop the camera on the nice ceramic floor:-(
Everything works except the flash.
Symptoms are ... continuous charging and no flash.
Are these things user repairable or is it back to the manufacturer?
Olympus stylus 410, fairly old now but adequate.
regards
--
Tim Lamb

Probably broken flash tube. Can you hear bits of broken glass when you shake it?

No
regards
--
Tim Lamb

Even the manufacturers tend not to repair these things. Inside you will find endless stuff crushed up together - in that "one-time- assembly" sort of way.
My sis recently took her broken Sony T4 for repair. The manufacturers price for a repair was identical to the price they offered her for a new Sony camera that was a considerable upgrade - after a trade-in discount on her broken camera.
Unless your camera is pretty new and an expensive model, repair may be uneconomic.
On 27/10/2010 11:11, snipped-for-privacy@gglz.com wrote:

Don't know about Olympus but Fuji have a very good repair service. Give Oly a ring.
Peter Scott
In message

For this camera, I can't see it making economic sense, even if they would offer a repair.
A quick search indicates this is a 4mega pixel 3x zoom camera from about 2004, as such it is pretty much a bottom of the range camera from today, which you can probably get for about 60 or so. I'd just buy anew one
Eg Canon A495
<(Amazon.com product link shortened) 8/>
--
Chris French

Alternatively if you spend more money you can get a camera with more pixels, 10 or 12 times optical zoom and possibly quite good video.
I was frustrated when swmbo's AGP film Canon Ixus was uneconomic to repair, but please when my then 15 year old Pentax was repaired by some probably Indian gentleman in Dubai.
--
Michael Chare

Oh, I agree, if I was buying a replacement, I'd be looking to move up a bit more. I was just pointing out just how cheap a more than comparable new camera would be.
Bought a Panasonic TZ10 earlier this year, when our the flash on our canon stopped working properly. I do like the video function on it. The quality is plenty good enough for video of the kids which is all we want really. And having it on the camera in your hand means you are more likely to take it. (The Canon did video as well, but the quality was no where near as good.
--
Chris French

I agree. I dropped my Olympus camera earlier this year. It only cost me 70ish for a new one with 3 times as many pixels and a battery that lasts 5 times longer. It also takes reasonable quality videos with sound.
I would have said that my Olympus was adequate, but looking at the photos taken with my new camera I realise that it was barely adequate.
--
Adam

You should try comparing them to a camera with an APS-C sized sensor, you may decide the new one isn't adequate.

Yes, or the Panny/Olympus micro four-thirds system, which also gives you a larger sensor (not as large as APS-C but still a lot larger than the tiny jobs you'll get in the ordinary pocket digicam).
--
Tim

Well, there is always better, but then we are talking a rather different ball game pricewise aren't we to a low to mid range point and shoot..
--
Chris French

On 28/10/2010 01:00, chris French wrote:

And size+weight too.
What I want is a fixed focal length 28mm camera, with a decent sensor and fixed lens, engineered to be small and light. It ought to be possible, but I don't think the market is there. The new Olympus/Sony non-SLRs are getting closer, but still too big.
On Thu, 28 Oct 2010 01:56:40 +0100, Clive George

Such cameras are already made by Ricoh and Sigma.
The Ricoh GR Digital is now in its third generation, GR Digital III. Its lens gives the same angle of view as a 28mm lens on 35mm film. It has a 10 MP sensor.
The Sigma DP1 is also in its third generation, DP1X. Its lens gives the same angle of view as a 28mm lens on 35mm film. But the second generation DP1S is available at a very attractive price of 229 from:
http://www.cliftoncameras.co.uk/Sigma_DP1S_Digital_Camera_
All DP1 versions have a Foveon sensor that delivers a 15 MP image. There is also a Sigma DP2 with the same sensor but its lens gives the same angle of view as a 40mm lens on 35mm film.
FujiFilm has just announced the FinePix X100 which is a high quality digital camera with a fixed lens and a 10 MP sensor. Its lens gives the same angle of view as a 35mm lens on 35mm film. It looks like a classic all-metal rangefinder camera from the 1970s:
http://www.dpreview.com/news/1009/10091910fujifilmx100.asp
So you have plenty to choose from. ;-)
On 28/10/2010 10:41, Bruce wrote:

Interesting stuff, ta.
Bruce wrote:

But no viewfinder.

Nice, but the expected price is likely to be too high.
--
djc

There is nothing stopping you buying a Voigtlander 28mm viewfinder and slipping it into the hot shoe.

Too high for whom? I wasn't replying to you. My suggestions were addressed directly to the person I replied to.
Bruce wrote:

You were writing to a newsgroup not a personal email.
--
djc

Oh, you poor thing.
Welcome to my kill file. Thank you for making it an easy decision.
Bruce wrote:

Happyto return the compliment fuckwit
--
djc