Re: Repairs after a leak

A leak developed in the bathroom above the kitchen which caused a damp

> patch in the ceiling and water/moisture coming through the outide > facing cavity wall. The plumber has resolved the issue in the > bathroom and now we have to repair the kitchen. > > Within the cupboard below the damp patch on the ceiling a lot of black > mould has started to develop on the backboard. I thought we would need > to take the whole cupbaord down to repair it but the expert says that > the wall will have dried by now and to just bleach the inside of the > cupboard. Does this sound right? Surely there is mould behind the > backboard so shouldn't we be getting rid of this?

If the mould is only on the surface, then do as the "expert" said and use bleach to clear it - assuming that the backboard is of a formica, melamine or other non-porus facing material.

(To check for surface mould, simly wipe a small patch with the bleach, and if it comes away 'clean' then bleach is all that's needed. If after cleaning the patch, a fair bit of the mould is ingrained in the surface, then you will have to tell us what the backboard is made out of before a definitive answer can be given).

The other issue is with fixing the ceiling. I mentioned making a hole > in the ceiling and spraying the wood to prevent dry rot just in case > but he says that as the building is less than 10 years old then the > wood would have already been treated and this is unnecessary. He > intends to make the repairs and replaster the ceiling. Is this common > practice or cutting corners?

Make a hole in the ceiling by all means, but simply to let any water residue out - forget spraying the wood 'just in case fry rot sets in'.

If the leak is cured and there is plenty of ventilation in the roof space - then you won't get dry rot (it's by far the wrong conditions for this type of rot).

As for the rest of what the 'expert' says, then from the small amount of information given, he's right and *NOT* cutting corners and doing the amount of work that will cause the least damage and inconvenience - and cost to you or your insurance company.

Cash

Reply to
Cash