Canon Power Shot Camera Problem

I have an old Canon SD1000 Power Shot (Digital Elph) camera that I really love, and have used much. Now I am having a unique problem with its USB connection to my W7 PC. I use that to upload its pics to my PC, but now every time I plug it up, it immediately shuts the camera down (off) and sometimes the PC too (which could corrupt the PC OS I'm thinking). The same cord is used with an adapter to charge the camera, and that seems to work fine. This has started out of the blue, and seems to do this every time.

I can still upload pics from the camera by removing its SD card and mounting same in the PC.

Has anyone experienced a similar problem with PC USB connection from a device like my camera? I sure haven't. Yes, I have tried other USB ports on my PC.

Thanks

Confused

Reply to
confused

1st thing I would try is a new cord, because there are different contacts for charging and data transfer.
Reply to
bob_villa

I thought of that. Two things - I had two cords that 'fit' - both did same thing. I had one of the cords hand-labelled to id it - so I am sure it is the one I have always used before.

I was really quite shocked that this happened. I have used USB cords much before with cell phone and other device. Never experienced this problem. Scary.

Thanks

Confused

Reply to
confused

You'll need to try it on another PC...

Reply to
bob_villa

That's a good thought

Thanks

I'll get back to U

Confused

Reply to
confused

Strange......

I tried it on a second W7 PC I have, and it worked just fine - no problems. I tried to make it fail by jiggling the two cable ends and by switching USB ports.

Then, take this -

I re-tried all this on yesterday's PC and it worked just fine too. Go figure. I could not make things fail - especially the immediate shut down which I was really worried about.

So - thanks for your responses. I'll watch this and hope it doesn't happen again. I can't take it at my age.

Confused

Reply to
confused

I've occasionally had similar problems so make it a practice to /only/ use the card in a card reader and never use the camera to PC USB connection.

Reply to
philo

Don't rule out defective USB ports. I've lost one of three on my netbook and both front ports on my desktop box. Mobo mfrs are not shy about saving $$ by using really cheap mounted USB connectors. I now use a USB hub to save the computer port connectors from overuse.

nb

Reply to
notbob

Well I certainly can use a reader I have from now on.

Thanks guys

confused

Hi,

+1, and if that does not solve the issues, IMO USB port connector on the camera could be bad, or USB controller in the camera. New cameras now use WiFi to print or upload pictures. Look at the mini USB connector and camera connector with mag. glass you may see some thing not right.
Reply to
Tony Hwang

I'd get out a good light and a magnifying glass and take a peek into the (micro/mini depending on age) receptacle on the camera. It is possible for the contacts inside to come loose from their plastic insulator and be mangled. If this happened then the act of plugging the USB cord into the camera could cause the contact(s) to short. A long shot but it will only take a few minutes to check. If you don't know exactly what the inside should look like I'm sure that you have something around with the same style of receptacle or can find a picture online somewhere.

Reply to
BenignBodger

I do with my camera, since the (Windows) software didn't work very well. Later, when I tried Linux I found it worked perfectly with no software required.

I have had a similar problem, where the computer shut down. In fact, no camera was required. Just plugging in a USB cable shut it down. It was a defective USB port on the PC. Moving it a little (unavoidable while plugging something in) was causing a short.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

You guys are lucky that didn't EMP the whole motherboard! :-o

Reply to
thekmanrocks

++1.
Reply to
Tony Hwang

Wife's W7 computer would not recognize her flip camera while my W8 machine does. I told her about your problem.

I'm going to leave a USB connector in my machine after reading this thread to avoid this type problem.

Reply to
Frank

Try it on another computer, but my suspision is there are som bad capacitors in the camera and it is loading(shorting) the data line. The camera is about 6 or 6 years old????

Reply to
clare

Are you saying the new cameras dont have a USB connector anymore? WIFI would be useless for me. I dont have WIFI at home, and probably never will, because in a rural area it's not affordable. Having to go to a public WIFI everytime I want to get photos off my camera would be a huge pain.

I assume you can still remove the card and stick that in a card reader....

I always use a card reader. If for no other reason, it saves the camera batteries.

Reply to
Jerry.Tan

WiFi isn't only for an internet connection...most laptops have WiFi and with that capability on a camera you don't need to physically connect it. They will (most likely) also have a USB connection.

Reply to
bob_villa

You're confused here. The wifi for a home is just a wireless router that you can buy for $50. It goes after your Cable or DSL modem. Nearby PCs, printers, etc connect to the router via ethernet ports. The WIFI part, wireless devices in the house connect to. It's your own home version of the free internet they have at Starbucks and similar public hot spots. There are also wifi services that cover larger public areas, to deliver to paying customers, which is probably what you're referring to.

In my house, my wifi is used to support my smartphone and Tivo.

Reply to
trader_4

You can have wifi in the middle of the jungle, and it is VERY cheap. Might not have internet capability, but you can still connect your camera to your computer. Don't even need a router because you can do wifi point to point.

Reply to
clare