which repairs should be first

I'm considering buying a house that needs a new roof (shingle), foundation repair, sheetrock repair, cracked ceramic floor tile, etc... . Does the order of repair matter for the roof vs foundation repair? This is for a one story house (around 2400 sq feet) built around 1993.

Reply to
Doug

Why does the foundation need repair?

1993 makes this a newer home. You may want to explain why you are considering these repairs that way it will help people give more informed opinions.
Reply to
Duesenberg

Well, it would definitely be better to do the foundation before the sheet rock or floor. Roof versus foundation is a different matter, as far as I can see it shouldn't make much difference which you do first. The roof should be able to shift some as the foundation is repaired, but just for the heck of it I would probably start with the foundation.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Gill

Gosh...tough choice. WHY are you considering it? Got estimates for the repairs (which would be of utmost importance)? What needs to be done to foundation? If the roof leaks, that makes the roof immediately important. If foundation can't be made whole, then the roof won't matter. The devil is in the details :o)

Reply to
Norminn

Hmmm, Not even 20 year old house, and needs so many repairs? Any thing in good order? Why bother? Even if price is extremely excellent, I'd hesitate to buy this house. Sounds like house is falling apart. Must be poorly built.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Depends how bad it is. If the foundation is no good the roof is a waste - and if the roof leaks like a seive, the foundation will allwats be wet. I'd make sure the foundation is sound before wasting money on the roof - even if it meant tarping the roof for a couple of weeks.

Definitey fix the roof before the drywall, and the founstion before the ceramic floor.

Reply to
clare

As other say, real answer is in the unknown details...

I'd say sounds like probably needs to start w/ the drainage as a conjecture, proceed to foundation work required and then on to the roof and rest of structure.

But, also as others note, unless you're basically being handed the property, sounds like a potential money $ink w/ marginal payback...

Reply to
dpb

Sounds reasonable.

Reply to
gonjah

Yes, I'm starting to have 2nd thoughts for more reasons than mentioned.

Thanks to "ALL" who replied. My apologies I don't mention each name but you know who you are :-)

Reply to
Doug

It would be interesting to know what the foundation problems are, especially, because of the relatively young age of the house. Without any further info, that would worry me most. If it is a crack in a slab, it may or may not be ominous. If the ground is shifting, it may be a much greater problem. 20 years for a builder-installed roof may be pretty average. Even if it needs major repairs, other factors like location and your ability to pay for all needed work could make it a good investment....doesn't sound like a great idea for a first home or a fixer-upper.

Reply to
Norminn

I know what a house that was built about 1880's or so looks like and no question except for the balloon type walls and electrical, it's a better built house. My aunt owned the oldest home in Mohawk Valley I was told when she was alive and I once went in the cellar and saw pegs in the floor joists... don't remember what it was for now. I wish I took pics of it and the house in general. The house was in the suburbs of Utica, NY.

Anyway, no I think the slab in this house may have cracked because of the extreme temps we had last summer and clay soil (expands and contracts). I don't think it should be torn down but most definitely needs in my opinion about $30k worth of work (hired help).

I was going to fix it up and rent it at first then a few years later, sell it. My preliminary estimate for this investment property puts the cost + repairs at 80 to 81% of market value assuming I could buy it at my price. I haven't made any offer so it's a guess for the moment if I could even get my offer to work. I don't think I would lose money per se if my offer was accepted but I'm not sure I want to get so involved. I figure it might take 3 to 4 months to fix (due to scheduling of the pros). I'll sleep on it some more. If I lose it, I can live with that too. I hold a real estate license and have access to the MLS so I can find other homes... it's just that I'm picky so that limits my considerations.

Reply to
Doug

Everyone has access to MLS. Here's a hint: You don't need a real estate license to _buy_ a home, nor do you need one to sell _your_ own home. So what's the point?

Reply to
Home Guy

No you don't have full access to MLS... well at least where I live and I save money on commissions as well. Agreed you don't need a license to buy or sell a house.

Reply to
Doug

Roof and GUTTERS, then you can start routing that water AWAY from the foundation you're about to repair.

Reply to
Steve Barker

I hope you have some money left over, for the repairs. I'd do the roof, if it's leaking. Wet inside the house is no good.

.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Thanks !!!

Reply to
Doug

No offense taken and appreciate the advice !!

Reply to
Doug

Thank you Evan. I'm definitely sleeping on this home.

Reply to
Doug

No, I didn't buy it but I am considering it. If I buy it, I will allow at least 20% allowance over the expenses I already know about in repairs. I know it's going to need fdn repair, roof repair and interior paint, spackle, tile work and maybe a new rug. That's what I know which are to me major expenses.

In answer to others, I saw 2 small leaks in the kitchen ceiling but they didn't look fresh to me but I will assume they still leak. Otherwise roof looked okay but due to age, I will want new roof. Heater was working when I entered the house but I didn't check the a/c because it was cold outside and I didn't want to wait long enuf to heat the house hot and then cool it off with the a/c. I did look at the a/c outside and it looked like it had been replaced and was a trane1200 condenser. Foundation had definitely a crack in it due to the evidence in the walls and some tile in bathroom (one end of house) and kitchen (on other end of house). Minor things to me that I noticed were a garage door opener adjustment, decking (structure ok just looks weathered) and some window screens. Obviously I didn't see everything but I was in the house just looking for obvious or major expenses upon my first visit.

Reply to
Doug

Here's my estimate for the major stuff and some minor stuff I quickly noticed (having based on recent estimates on other homes except for wild guesses noted) but I will get real estimates from contractors...

inside paint.... $4000 foundation.... $6000 garage door opener adj.... $250 decking (optional repair expense).... $1500 (wild guess on this) new roof (tear off incl) .... $7000 rug..... $4000 (wild guess on this but house is 2400sq ft with some tile) landscaping (not extensive).... $500 misc... $9000

I know there will be tile work to some degree due to cracking and other misc stuff so I'm hoping my $9000 will cover this.... assuming I purchase it. Based on comps in the neighborhood and if I can purchase it with what I have in mind... purchase price plus above is about 80 to 81% of market value. In my opinion if my repair cost is greater, the worst scenario is I'd break even. I can buy other homes not really in need of repair (or minor at best) but I will only get a 5% or so discount vs this 20% discount. The 5% homes have more chance of appreciating tho. I guess I will have to sleep more on this.

Reply to
Doug