digital camera repairs

How true is this nowadays? It seems to me that small cameras do keep getting better despite this theoretical problem. My FX30 certainly performs adequately in low light.

Reply to
Clive George

At 400 ASA on my best (Nikon) lenses..the pixellation, noise and optics are all giving up at the same point.

that used to happen at 50 ASA on the same lenses on a film camera.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

In message , Tim Streater writes

Well, there is always better, but then we are talking a rather different ball game pricewise aren't we to a low to mid range point and shoot..

Reply to
chris French

Whilst I'd agree that latest cameras are generally over specified in the pixel count. I'd also agree that it'd doesn't really seem to have impacted on the end result. Our current 10/12 megapixel Panasonic certainly seems no noisier or slower than the old 4megapixel Canon that my Daughter has. for one thing the processors will presumably have got faster as well

Reply to
chris French

In message , Tim Lamb writes

Got to be worth a punt. Me and the girls enjoyed taking one part here (not really to fix, just for the sake of it really)

Reply to
chris French

And size+weight too.

What I want is a fixed focal length 28mm camera, with a decent sensor and fixed lens, engineered to be small and light. It ought to be possible, but I don't think the market is there. The new Olympus/Sony non-SLRs are getting closer, but still too big.

Reply to
Clive George

Such cameras are already made by Ricoh and Sigma.

The Ricoh GR Digital is now in its third generation, GR Digital III. Its lens gives the same angle of view as a 28mm lens on 35mm film. It has a 10 MP sensor.

The Sigma DP1 is also in its third generation, DP1X. Its lens gives the same angle of view as a 28mm lens on 35mm film. But the second generation DP1S is available at a very attractive price of £229 from:

DP1 versions have a Foveon sensor that delivers a 15 MP image. There is also a Sigma DP2 with the same sensor but its lens gives the same angle of view as a 40mm lens on 35mm film.

FujiFilm has just announced the FinePix X100 which is a high quality digital camera with a fixed lens and a 10 MP sensor. Its lens gives the same angle of view as a 35mm lens on 35mm film. It looks like a classic all-metal rangefinder camera from the 1970s:

So you have plenty to choose from. ;-)

Reply to
Bruce

Interesting stuff, ta.

Reply to
Clive George

Yes, my old Olympus XA was full-frame 35mm and easily pocketable. I've yet to see a digital camera as small with anything like a reasonable sensor size. It'snot more pixels I want (8MP is enough for something I can carry around in a pocket rather than a backpack) but less noise and good low light performance withoutflash.

Reply to
djc

But no viewfinder.

Nice, but the expected price is likely to be too high.

Reply to
djc

There is nothing stopping you buying a Voigtlander 28mm viewfinder and slipping it into the hot shoe.

Too high for whom? I wasn't replying to you. My suggestions were addressed directly to the person I replied to.

Reply to
Bruce

You were writing to a newsgroup not a personal email.

Reply to
djc

Oh, you poor thing.

Welcome to my kill file. Thank you for making it an easy decision.

Reply to
Bruce

Happyto return the compliment f****it

Reply to
djc

IME all the 5MP+ cameras are better in low light without than 35 mm film unless you are talking about long exposures. If you want long exposures then you need one that has noise reduction by taking dark images and subtracting it from the image.

I carry a cheapish pentax optio water proof camera around in my pocket most of the time. It is useful as a memory aid as well as taking artistic stuff.

Reply to
dennis

What was the old 35mm Olympus that had a detachable flash on the side? Was it the XA? I always thought that was a good idea. Flash must take up significant space in a digital camera.

Reply to
John

Yes,that's the one XA2. There were 2 versions of the flash A11 and A16. The A16 a little larger and more powerful. Both screwed onto the side extending the body.

Reply to
djc