The continuing hard drive worries.

Right, if you have all finished stressing about Scotland.... back to my computer problems.
As has been pointed out, Towers with Windows 7/32bit are readily available on the refurbished market.
What problems am I likely to run into attempting to transfer software for which I do not have installation discs. Clonezilla was suggested.
Also, will such m/cs have licensed software such that MS will continue upgrading/fixing?
Kindly bear in mind my lack of geekyness:-)
--
Tim Lamb

Tim Lamb wrote:

In general you will need the install discs, not much software likes the installed folder to be copied to a new machine, it will have sprinkled .dll files an registry settings all over the old machine.

That's not what you want to use in this case, it would blat your old WinXP on top of your new Win7 hard drive.
Tim Lamb wrote

What software do you want to transfer.
On 19/09/2014 21:15, Tim Lamb wrote:

Are you trying to transfer the license from a machine that you have now or from one that you are buying?
A full retail license that you buy by itself on DVDs is normally transferable to a different computer. You might have to do a tedious telephone activation.
A license that is sold with a new computer is normally not transferable. You might be able be able to argue that re-registration is necessary because some part has failed.
A Windows 8 license is a bit more flexible.
--
Michael Chare

In many cases you will need the Win7 version of the software, which may be a later version than you have installed. Any original activation codes may or may not work with later versions. I have some software that has worked as I've downloaded later versions all the way from Windows 95 until now (eg Total Recorder). Others have been a disaster (eg Borland C++ Builder) and I've only kept them because I've cloned the old machine as a virtual machine on the later hardware.
The whole thing is a potential pain, I'm afraid.
--
Bill

In most cases, you cannot transfer individual software without also moving the operating system. If you move the operating system, then all the drivers will be wrong for the new box and probably it won't even boot correctly. The reason is that most programs fiddle with the registry to store their default folders and other data. Really you need to have the original installers.
Brian
--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"Tim Lamb" < snipped-for-privacy@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk> wrote in message

That last is easy enough to fix by doing a repair install.
The real problem is that it isnt the OS that he wants to use now.

When changing OSs, yep.

Umm.. Turnpike although there is a fair bit of *knowledge* on how to do this from previous moves.
I guess the obvious is a working browser so I can fetch the rest.
Nero came with the current m/c. I have a Norton account with 2 more free installs so that should be OK. Spybot etc.

--
Tim Lamb

On 20/09/14 08:34, Tim Lamb wrote:

why not be adventurous, and install linux mint, and then see if turnpike will run under WINE?
You wont need anti-virus then.
And you can stick the old drive in there as well and copy any data off it you want..
Tim Lamb wrote:

If you ask on demon.ip.support.turnpike you'll find that installation files are available - probably, depending on the version.
--
Mike Barnes
Cheshire, England

Understanding error:-)
The refurbished m/c would be purchased with a working Windows 7 installation.

Ah! This might be the stumbling block. How much is a licensed copy of Windows 7/32?
--
Tim Lamb

Tim Lamb wrote:

You shouldn't need or want to be transferring a Windows licence in what you're thinking of doing (presumaly you don't want XP on the new machine?) you should buy one that has a Win7 licence included, the OEM licences do transfer with the machine.
If you buy from one of the eBay "business" sellers who is offering multiple identical machines with windows included, they're not likely to stiff you on the licence, e.g.
e.g. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/171424219178
That's about a 5 year old model, but very few people *need* the latest and greatest nowadays.
Buying a one-off from a home user flogging a single PC, who knows how many relatives computers have the same licence already installed on them, and whether MS would re-activate it for you if you have problems?
There is an official MS refurbishers scheme, if you want the re-assurance of a brand new windows licence.

Turnpike 6 (which Tim is using) doesn't run under WINE
But transferring that will be easy enough, if Tim doesn't have it, though the installation file isn't available anymore from Demon I don't think, there are still copies around
--
Chris French

On 20/09/14 10:54, Chris French wrote:

well virtualbox then.

I believe the later versions connect using Windows. Some users advocate falling back to the 5.02 issue but I think you are still stuck with the 32bit limitation.

Oh! Technical. Is there anywhere you can *experience* linux without jumping in with both feet?
--
Tim Lamb

Yes. There is 5.02 as well. I should be OK on the operating system but may need advice on the data files.

--
Tim Lamb

OK That's reassuring.

Are they all likely to be that old? Is there an easy way of checking vintage?

Point taken.

I have seen E-Bay references to that.
Ta.
--
Tim Lamb

Tim Lamb wrote:

The clue on those ones is that it is a "Pentium D" which pre-dates the Core and Core Duo processors, and the current Core2 processors, likely to be a bit more power hungry if leaving it on 24x7.
Some of these "refurbs" are machines from a large corporate that have been used, abused and replaced, then someone's bought up the job lot and made 50 usable ones from 100 half-dead ones.
Some might be brand new old stock that's been sat in a warehouse or a cupboard as spares for 5 years.
On 20/09/2014 11:36, Andy Burns wrote:

If Tim wants a better machine I am sure I have some cast off Core2Duo E7xxx class machines going spare* for the cost of delivery. (you will need to add your own OS) and possibly HD (although I can lob one of those in if you want)
* I chucked ten slightly lower spec machines in a skip the other day... (ten mins later a "scrap metal dealer" was knocking on the door asking if he could have them!
--
Cheers,

John.
On 20/09/2014 11:24, Tim Lamb wrote:

Aria is a Manchester-based supplier that gives a 12-month warranty on refurbs e.g. HP DC7700 Core 2 Duo Windows 7 Pro 64-Bit SFF PC, £71.99. HD Intel Graphics, 2.13GHz E6400 Core 2 Duo CPU, 2GB DDR2, 80GB HDD, Microsoft Windows 7 Professional & 1 Year Warranty. <http://tinyurl.com/nqpvjwu
I used to use Aria refurbs to supply my small business customers who needed very basic office PCs and couldn't/wouldn't afford new stuff.