Metal panel roofing

A few months back, we had the roof on an outbuilding replaced. Off came the old asbestos cement corrugated panels, on went metal corrugated panels. Looked to be a nice easy job, to the level that I thought "Exactly wtf am I paying for this...?" - but at least I didn't have to deal with the old stuff... That was laid straight onto the purloins.

We're soon going to be having a new garage go up - flat-pack timber, erected by the supplier. They're supplying it with the roof boarded and felted, ready to panel on top of that to match the other one.

Given that this one's going to be even easier - I'm REALLY wondering why I don't just DIY it.

AFAICT, the only thing I'm going to need to add to the tool array is a nibbler. A quick look says that 230v nibblers are expensive, but air are surprisingly cheap. I've got a compressor (one of the ubiquitous Aldidl ones, seems to promise more than adequate CFM)...

Am I missing something here?

Reply to
Adrian

In article , Adrian writes

It will be a piece off piss, get on with it :-)

I can't see the need for a nibbler, the metal is pretty thin and a big angle grinder will piss through it. Use a batten as a guide if necessary and use tin snips for tricky bits.

Reply to
fred

Great, now give us a hand with the ladder...

Forgot to mention - once the garage is done, I'll be teaching myself to weld. So whilst it might not be _necessary_, I'm sure it'll come in useful.

B'sides, it's MORE TOOL PR0N!

Reply to
Adrian

You need the nibbler. The shearing effect "wipes" zinc over the cut edge, the grinder does not and it rusts very quickly.

Reply to
harryagain

Several thoughts... Angle grinder, fine except you heat the work. OK for painted finish but degrades the edge if plastic coated.

Pneumatic nibblers, OK on flat sheet but don't do profiles unless you buy the expensive version. I have a £40 Silverline pneumatic which is a round pin punch. Nice for going round corners but a pig to use in a straight line! You also get showered in tiny metal new moons.

For roof sheet I often use the *demolition type* circular saw. Stack the sheets and do several at once.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

If you go for a nibbler make sure you buy some spare punches for it. Broke the punch on my MM air one and havn't been able to get a replacement to date.

Reply to
newshound

/newshound

- show quoted text - If you go for a nibbler make sure you buy some spare punches for it. Broke the punch on my MM air one and havn't been able to get a replacement to date/q

Ah "Good" old machine Mart?, we've discussed their 'strategies' before ISTR ?

Jim K

Reply to
JimK

In message , JimK writes

My Silverline came via Amazon. Pack of 5 spare punches bought at the same time. One used, so far!

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Don't know if it is quite the same thing but Lidl have some air driven metal shears in there offerings yesterday 18/ 9. Price £19.99

Depends how close you are to a store sometimes, Aldi for me is a min of 30 miles round trip so I often don't bother with thier offers. Lidl is 10 miles and to a place we go frequently anyway.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg