Metal roof edge sealing help

I have a fairly new metal roof (2 years old). The contractor is no longer available. As my plumber had predicted, wind blows water under the edge of the roof. Roof edge is guttered full length and is 60 feet long. Said edge hangs into the gutter approximately 1 to 1-1/2 inches. Rain water blows up into the raised 'bumps' of the roofing panels.

My idea of a fix would be to stuff a tiny amount of something (maybe wadded insulation) up into the bump to use as a stop. Then fill the 1 or 2 inch remaining cavity with foam (Great Stuff?). The foam would go only as far as I shoved the 'stop'.

Anybody have any better ideas please submit and criticize mine!!!

Thanks,

Ivan Vegvary

Reply to
Ivan Vegvary

I am not sure your proposed solution would hold up to the weather but I really don't know. There are closure strips that are manufactured for this that are usually installed when the panels are installed. Do a google search for "metel roof closure strip" and you should run across something. You may be able to get these in there with a little work.

Reply to
Eric9822

non expanding spray foam

Reply to
jmhartle

The roof deck, particularly the edge, is potentially subject to rotting. The water that is blown up there will be absorbed and any spores are protected from sun and warmed by the sun on the roof. Unless the roof edge is wrapped with self adhering flashing / ice & water shield, a solution has to protect the deck. Foam a closure strip will not hold the metal roof in place.

I suggest finding a roofer to provide a proper edge to the roof.

tbasc

The material is commonly called bird stop in the trade and closure strip as a more technical term and is quite standard in the metal building business. Here is an example for R panel:

or

If you do not have R panel, you will need to find a supplier of the type of panel you have to buy the appropriate shape. MBCI carries quite a few:

Reply to
DanG

Thanks everybody. The metal supplier is within a few miles of me. I never considered that they have a metal trim piece (bird stop) just for this purpose. Thanks again.

Ivan Vegvary

Reply to
Ivan Vegvary

It is my understanding that roofs of this type, like tile roofs, need drainage and ventilation at the bottom and not a seal. Even if there are no leaks, condensation will cause dampness under the metal and it needs to be able to dry out.

Don Young

Reply to
Don Young

I'm sitting here wondering how you know there is water blowing under the eave. You should have felt under the metal, precisely for the reason Don Young is bringing up--condensation could form under the steel. So if you have felt, how would you know water is blowing up there? If you don't, you could have more trouble than just the open gaps at the eave.

Reply to
marson

Thanks for you concern. The metal roof has 1" insulation under the panels. This metal/insulation sandwich is screwed down to 2x6 rafters 16 inches on center. About 4-5 feet below is the ceiling (topped with 3/4" plywood) of my finished space (this is a shop). The top of this ceiling is what I call my mezzanine. I walk on this mezzanine and use it for storage. The mezzanine had a large (about 3ft x 7 ft) puddle on it near the edge of the roof. I tore back the thin insulation and only the outer 6-8 inches was wet for a length of about 4 feet. I'm sure that it is rain being blown in from the outside. BTW, have not fixed it yet, had lots of rainy days but no wind. Everything is pretty dry now.

Your concern about ventilation. As I explained the whole roof metal is underlain by this thin blanket (Mylar or vinyl on the underside) of insulation. Said blanket is fully exposed to my shop. If you think I still need ventilation I would rather put up the 'bird stop' and simply slit the insulation a few feet further into the building.

What do you think?

Thanks again,

Ivan Vegvary

Reply to
Ivan Vegvary

I didn't know you had foam under the metal. I would then block the holes in the eave. The closure strips are closed cell foam. They stop wind driven rain from blowing into the ridge (those would be the opposite pattern you need), so I don't see why they wouldn't work in your case. You could use Great Stuff, but it doesn't handle exposure to the elements real well. Plus, if it doesn't work for some reason, you really have a mess on your hands.

Reply to
marson