Wetness on basement concrete

I noticed today that when I started working on the vapour barrier in the basement, the insulation was wet on the backside where it is near the black barrier against the concrete. When I took it out, I noticed what I consider is allot of dampness on both sides of the black barrier that rests up against the concrete. Is it normal to have allot of wetness on this black barrier ? As well, the concrete is very wet as well on the other side of the black barrier and on top of the black barrier area. Is there suppose to be dampness on the barrier and the concrete or is it suppose to be dry? I'm trying to find out if something is wrong or not before I finish vapour barrier and start drywall. It's a standard 2 storey house in Ottawa, Ontario. Thanks much.

Reply to
car crash

"car crash" queried in message:

Actually you shouldn't place a vapor barrier on an inside concrete basement wall - IMHO.

Reply to
Jackson

ditto what Jackson said. The solution is to keep water away from the foundation on the outside, such as by correct grading and drainage. Gutters and downspouts are the first suspects, but by no means the only.

-B

Reply to
Em

if water EVER has gootten into basement in the past EVER!!!

Install a interior french drain and sump pump.

otherwise ALL your work will be ruined

Reply to
hallerb

some basement drying companies use plastic vapor barriers on the outside walls.

if you had water infiltrating from outside would you prefer?

its trapped on surface of blocks covered with plastic?

or stuck between block and interior wall, rotting the studs, mold growing nicely:)

the real solution is keep the water away from foundation.

Reply to
hallerb