External Hard Drive Power Supply

Hi -

Tenuously on-topic, but hopefully someone can help.

I use an external 5v/12v power supply to temporarily run hard drives during repair and tinkering. The Chinese rubbish they sell on eBay (eg

141793905523) has the quality & durability of a Kinder Egg toy. I've had about 5 of them now, they always fail.

I would happily pay £20 for a good quality version from a reliable manufacturer. Does anyone happen to know where something like this is available?

Thanks Steve

Reply to
Steve Walker

I just use one of these (ebay no. 151798079800) or rather, the same thing pulled out of an old PC before I threw it away.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Odell

Convert ATX PSU to Bench Supply

supply.html

Reply to
Mark

An ATX power supply? Small one won't cost much more than 20 quid. Get one from CPC - they sell decent quality.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Possibly unhelpful answer, but I use a PSU from an old computer for this. Obviously one has to be comfortable with wires around the place.

Reply to
Clive George

Heh, so everyone's suggesting hotwiring an old PSU. Funnily enough I had one of those, but I binned it because it was too big/noisy/tangle-of-cabley for easy portable use. Should've kept it and modified it, perhaps. De-soldered the un-needed connectors, done the 7v trick on the fan, could've been okay.

That'll learn me... :-)

Reply to
Steve Walker

Open it up and clip off the ones you don't need.

You will need to add a link to power it up, though.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Depending on what you are doing and what other PCs you use, how heavily loaded, etc., you could take a lead from an existing, working PC just for power.

Reply to
polygonum