External hard drives...

I have all my stuff on a 1tb external drive....yesterday I bought another to back it up...doing it at the moment and it says it will take three and a half hours is this correct or is there a quicker way of transferring ?

Reply to
Jim GM4 DHJ ...

Don't you just hate it when people give so many details of their computer setup, the types of drive, how they are connected, etc?

Reply to
GB

it is transferring at 12mb/s

Reply to
Jim GM4 DHJ ...

insulting me doesn't work as I hate and have no intrest in then .....

Reply to
Jim GM4 DHJ ...

That's not an insult. You'll know when I'm insulting you. :)

Reply to
GB

oh gooy....but is there not some other way like banging the drives together like a phone...?

Reply to
jim.gm4dhj

But you haven't been truthful with us.

You're doing file-by-file transfer, and you neglected to tell us how many gigabytes of files you're transferring.

It takes lees time to transfer 100GB files on a 1TB source drive, then it does to transfer 300GB files on a 1TB source drive.

It's unlikely the drive is chock full. But... you tell us.

My suspicion is, either the PC port is USB2, or the disk drive adapter card inside the enclosure is USB2, and USB2 does around 35MB/sec.

35MB/sec * 12600 seconds = 441000MB =~ 441GB, source drive half full.

If you tell us the quantity of files, we can apply arithmetic to determine how your rate is capped.

Paul

Reply to
Paul

I assumed that USB2 is involved somewhere, but why should we guess if the OP can't be bothered to supply the information, even when prompted to do so?

Reply to
GB

So you have : ______ USB __ USB ______ |Drive1|-----|PC|-----|Drive2|

And are doing a naive physical file copy rather than some sort of smart backup software with compression?

You would be better off with one drive inside the PC on a properly fast SATA interface. USB3 drives can muster a fair bit of speed but if the drive is stuck on a USB2 port then it will be throttled back.

Sounds like it is on USB2 and the controller isn't the greatest. It could also be that the new drive doesn't have the optimum format for fastest possible operation. I see that a lot with USB drives.

You often cannot obtain their published speed with the backwards compatible format that they are typically shipped with.

Fast solid state 256GB USB thumbnail drives are now cheap enough to use for backups on a grandfather, father, son basis.

Reply to
Martin Brown

The time wouldn't be unreasonable but often the time is an initial estimate by the back-up software and the estimate may reduce dramatically later on during the backup.

Reply to
alan_m

The time is reasonable for two 1TB USB drives via a PC. However, when I did just this recently, it stopped after 250GB when the supposed 1TB destination disk was full, even though it reported as 1TB.

The lying cheating bastards did refund, after a little effort. I guess that unless you're using it as I was to backup a nearly full disk, you might not notice for a long time.

Reply to
Clive Arthur

might be

What quantity of data?

What kind of external drive? (spinning rust, or SSD)

Connected via USB presumably, but which version? (Blue insert on the socket = USB3)

there might be, depending on the answers to the above, and how much complexity you are happy with.

Reply to
John Rumm

Unless you give us some f****ng DETAILS we'll just watch and larf at you.

Is this just a drag/drop copy? How much stuff are you copying? Are you using a backup program to do this? What sort of ports are the two drives connected to?

And so on.

You remind me of this geezer at CERN who used some software I wrote. He'd put his head round the door and say "It doesn't work". My reaction was to adopt a look of extreme concern and say "Oh DEAR! Your poor wife - have you been to the Doctor about it?"

Reply to
Tim Streater

droll.

You are Donald Trump AICMFP. He tweeted "Close the Poles" the other day.

Reply to
Tim Streater

and quite right too....

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

you get a lot of that attitude in amateur radio as well....bunch of professionals that like to lord it over the true hobbyist.....makes them feel better ...

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

I bought a 1TB usb pen drive like this once which I was sure was a con and it was.......sent it back when it .....computer engineers are thieving bastards arne't they.....e

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

nope

They are both slave devices and they do not have the capabilities to be be an OTG Master

Disclaimer. I do know that we're not supposed to use the terms Master and Slave any more, but f*ck knows what the alternative names are

Reply to
tim...

you've got a very high spec machine if all sockets are USB3, on my machines only one of the sockets is USB3 and the others USB2

A completely useless setup for doing the transfer you are doing

Reply to
tim...

or even increases

Reply to