Galvonic isolator position

where should the galvonic isolator be positioned in relation to a virginmedia modem/router?.....I relocated the box to the upper floor of the house using a good coax leaving the isolator down stairs this seemed to cause problems with my internet connection idea why?

Reply to
jim.gm4dhj

Depends on where you have the dilithium crystals.

Reply to
newshound

Just keep them away from the flux capacitor...

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

And whether or not an unobtanium gasket is fitted..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It is used to disconnect the internal equipment from the external broadband cabinet and equipment. It also acts to prevent ground loops via the coax cable that supplies the cable broadband signal. It might be what everyone else calls a braid breaker.

Putting it in the 'wrong' position might cause a change in SNR, that depends on exact details of the property and wiring.

Jim clearly upset it initially and then fixed it again.

Reply to
Brian Morrison

I think that is exactly what happened.....thank supreme being for somebody who knows what they are talking about,,,

Reply to
Jim GM4 DHJ ...

Yes, the cable cabinet and the house might be on different phases.

Reply to
charles

thanks this seems to be the problem

Reply to
Jim GM4 DHJ ...

Jim, I'm not quite sure what you're doing, but for the record the coax feed from the street cabinet, where it enters your house, will have a box where both the inner and outer of the coax have in-line blocking capacitors. These are large enough to pass 5MHz and above without attenuation, but progressively kill the lower frequencies down to DC. This is a requirement to protect you from any voltage present on the feed to you, and the system from any voltage you feed back into the system.

Reply to
Ian Jackson

Gosh. Ground loops. 50hz hum on a megahertz signal...Do you folks over on uk.radio.amateur actually have *any* electronic experience *at all*.?

The right position is in the bin, along with his tinfoil hat and quartz crystal pyramid knife sharpener

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

So f****ng what? I am sure that my ISP is on 3 phases.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Interestingly, I had, in the analogue days, hum on my tv signal when it rained. Took a bit of tracing: VCR had a potential on it's earth which travelled up the downlead into my aerial combiner. When it rained it found a path to earth down the wall. There was a drop of about 3v between the output and input earths and this transferred itself to the wanted signal and ended up on the picture. Solved by grounding the input coax to the VCR.

Reply to
charles

But this might have failed in Jim's case. For my info - how does the phone signal get past the blocking capacitor?

Reply to
charles

oh right...do you comply with anything people tell you to do?.....

Reply to
Jim GM4 DHJ ...

In message snipped-for-privacy@candehope.me.uk>, charles snipped-for-privacy@candehope.me.uk> writes

Virgin provides internet and TV at RF (5MHz to 1000+MHz, via coax) - and I was assuming that that was what Jim was talking about. Phone will be on twisted-pair phonelines.

Reply to
Ian Jackson

Um, not in my house. Phone plugs into router (which only has a coax link to the outside world).

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

my daughter's house has just the one cable from Virgin - but maybe it's multicore.

Reply to
charles

phone goes to a socket in the hall I dont use the phone sockets on the modem/router....there is just a splitter for the tv and the modem/router on the living room wall....my problem was the position of the isolator in relation to the router/wifi unit.....it totally buggered up the internet...dropped connection and wifi etc...all fine now

Reply to
The Planet Man ...

sorry that was me....

Reply to
jim.gm4dhj

You are even thicker than I thought possible.

Reply to
Radio Man