Isolator switch

I will be putting a 3-pole isolator in for a timer extractor fan. It will be located in the bathroom do the regs stipulate if it has to be a switch or a fused or pull cord.

Thanks

Reply to
ss

Never seen a fused 3 pole pull cord switch.

Reply to
adamko2020

I just know I need to use a 3.pole switch and wondered if regs dictate what type in a bathroom.

Reply to
ss

As far as I know you'll only find one type of 3 pole fan isolator switch, e.g. something like:

The regs require appliances (including switches) to be outside zones 0 to 2 (i.e. where they shouldn't get water splashed on them) or to have a suitable IP rating.

There's no specific insistence on pull cord switches as such though it's often a way of positioning the actual switch mechanism outside the zones and keeping the "human interface" conveniently accessible. Also quite good practice if there's a possibility of it being operated by someone with wet hands.

The fan isolator is something which will very rarely need to be accessed. Normally it will only be used when maintaining the fan so not much problem if it's high up on the wall. It should, however, be installed where it can be seen by the person servicing the fan.

Reply to
Mike Clarke

Thanks that clarifies it for me.

Reply to
ss

Appliances can be in the Zones, so long as they are suitably IP rated. For instance, it is very common for a fan to be on the end wall of a bath.

701.55
Reply to
A.Lee

The Regs do not ask for a 3 pole isolator, they ask for an isolator that isolates any Line conductors (and neutral on TT systems). It is manufacturers instructions which ask for a 3 pole isolator, and that can even be ignored now the 3rd Amendment is here, if you can justify not having it. Greenbrook fans do not ask for a 3 pole isolator.

Reply to
A.Lee

On most new builds you see the bathroom/en suite fan isolator located outsi de the bathroom above the door so they are convenient to switch from the po int of servicing but not convenient to use as the general on/off switch. Mo st of these fans are then wired into the lighting circuit so they come on w hen the lights are turned on. If you do not want that and require a seperat e switch then if that is going in the bathroom that will have to be a pull cord type and will not need to be a 3 pole type neither will the isolator u nless it is being wired through the light circuit.

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

Reminds me of the shower at a former workplace. High ceiling, and the light and shower pullcords were next to each other on the ceiling, and someone had the bright idea of having just one pullcord which split to the two switches about 6" below them. They were always out of sync whenever I went in there - light on and shower off, or other way around.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Ok I reckon I have all the info I need now. Thanks to all for their input.

Reply to
ss

The general rule for switch gear, is that its appropriate for the situation and circumstances in which its used. So a rocker switch mounted high up on a wall in the corner of the room is likely to be fine if its not going to get splashed etc.

Reply to
John Rumm

I reckon at this stage of the planning the rocker switch and the fan will be out of Zone 2

Reply to
ss

Its not a hard requirement that a switch in a bathroom be a pull cord type - (although its certainly common to use pull cords).

The three pole requirement does not come as a result of it being wired from a lighting circuit, but due to it having three live wires (i.e. line, switched line and neutral).

Reply to
John Rumm

Don't you mean "line conductors", live, switched live and neutral?

Reply to
Fredxxx

In the complete refurb I did on our en-suite I used the Scolmore Click Mini Grid modules on a 12-way back plate; it is well outside Zone 2.

I accommodated the fan isolator and fuse, centre light switch, over cabinet light switch, towel rail switch and indicator light, shower pump switch and shaver socket isolator using all 12 positions in one way or another ... got rid of three 'wrong' switches from inside zone

2 plus three horrible pull switches that were not only ugly but made a din through the ceiling. Have a look at the comprehensive range here:

A good deal on the isolator from UK Electrical Supplies here:

they have priced down all the modules.

Mike

Reply to
mail-veil

"Line" is the new replacement term is for what was previously called a "Phase", and in this instance includes the live and switched live wires but specifically does not include[1] the neutral.

Neutral is considered a live wire, but not a phase or line wire.

See:

[1] See Part 2 (definitions) of BS7671 17th edition.
Reply to
John Rumm

It's not a general rule it is a reg:-)

511.1

The word is, as you said "appropriate"

Now do you fancy a challenge?

I got an email from a DIY forum

the other day. The email was sent to me (OnlyMe)

It seems impossible that I should have received this email (it was spam).

If I sent you the email and the headers could you shed any light on why I received the email? Only if you are not busy - it is not that important.

Reply to
ARW

You could send it to me if John's busy - I do that stuff too :)

Reply to
Tim Watts

send us both a copy ;-)

Reply to