Question for users of milling machines

What type of edge finder do you use (wiggler, split-cylinder or electronic) and can you recommend it?

Reply to
nothanks

snipped-for-privacy@aolbin.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@mid.individual.net:

As an ex-Jig Borer I would use a Mercer dial indicator in a jointed arm in the spindle and rotate it to touch each side of a slip gauge - adjusting until I got equal readings and then pitch over by hald the slip gauge size. Alternatively I had a block with a should that I could hold onto the edge that had a slot centred over the shoulder. Rotate the dial indicator to get equal readings.

Reply to
JohnP

JohnP snipped-for-privacy@nowhere.com wrote in news:XnsAC6D89F91798EJohPnowherecom@81.171.92.222:

I recall a wiggler being put through a test on a neigbouring SIP No7 Hydroptic. It was very good - but they never caught on. .

Reply to
JohnP

I'm probably about to expose my lack of knowledge, but how does that help find the edge of an object that you want to machine?

Reply to
nothanks

snipped-for-privacy@aolbin.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@mid.individual.net:

Imagine using a dial indicator (finger type) in the spindle to fins the centre of a slot. This is the same principle - but finding the centre of a block or a slip gauge.

JohnP

Aha! Thanks for the link; light has dawned. Is there any advantage compared to a capacitive edge finder, for example?

Reply to
nothanks

Such things were not around when I was a Jig Borer. Renishaw probes were just being seen.

Reply to
JohnP

I have always used a Wobbler, but you have to take into account the backlash of your lead screws when further advancing from the now-found edge to your centre of the workpiece.

Reply to
gareth evans