the plight of DIYBanter users

While I appreciate that the aforementioned content scraping, ad selling web interface may not be in many folks lists of top ten of favourite web destinations, do we really have to be quite so hostile toward the users that do find there way here via that route?

Its hardly their fault if its easy to find when searching, or if they have never heard of NNTP etc. This is usenet after all, not a private members club.

(and let's face it, we put up with some right knob's posting via other means!)

Reply to
John Rumm

I haven't seen much vitriol poured on visitors posting via DIYbanter - at least compared to the nuking they get in uk.rec.gardening Americans asking in there about raccoons in corn is a standing joke. (they get a really unfriendly reception for that transgression)

I think that they should be told that Usenet is something entirely outside XXXbanter which is a parasitic reflector of Usenet content. But if it is easier for them to post that way and live with the adverts and sponsors I don't really see the harm in it.

Reply to
Martin Brown

Usually they get a barrage of abuse and no answers to their questions. Seems harsh.

Google groups people get the same treatment which just make us seems like wankers. Sure, GG is a source of spam but isn't that all the more reason to be welcoming when it is a genuine post. It would be better to politely point out that some people won't see their post.

Why? It's an arbitrary distinction. There's nothing sacred about Usenet that closes it to the outside world. Those of us with a geeky nature (probably most people here) prefer it but, unless we're starting a religion, we should accept that others may feel differently.

Alex

Reply to
Alexander Lamaison

And point out *why*, namely that GG renders their posts very hard to read. I have several folks kfed for that reason alone.

Reply to
Tim Streater

On 11/04/2013 19:17, Alexander Lamaison wrote: ...

Blasphemy!

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

On Thursday 11 April 2013 18:29 Martin Brown wrote in uk.d-i-y:

I agree. The last 2 lines in my sig gives the link to relevant info on the topic.

Reply to
Tim Watts

On Thursday 11 April 2013 17:56 John Rumm wrote in uk.d-i-y:

I agree.

The problem is partly how sokme of those sites merge the US groups in with the UK group leading to weirdly posed questions using alien language and people forgetting to state where they are for the purposes of electrical advice.

However, that's not really the user's fault and we shoul dbe grateful that fresh blood is coming onto uk.d-i-y otheriwse it would die - and there do seem to be a lot of new users.

Reply to
Tim Watts

On Thursday 11 April 2013 19:23 Tim Streater wrote in uk.d-i-y:

GG is a special case of utterly buggering up the flow. I really would have expected better from Google - or maybe GG is the dumping ground for dongers who have disgraced themselves on another project.

'scude typing, am pissed on train.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Yeah, at least xxxbanter posts are formated properly and don't mess up the threading. What annoys me is the asking of simple questions that a quick search on google will answer in seconds.

Why? Presumably Google just hasn't found a way to monitize it yet.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

On Thursday 11 April 2013 19:54 Dave Liquorice wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Yes.

Google programmers are normally high calibre (I knew a few). And if you look at other google offerings, most are well designed and implemented.

As for monetise - I do not see why. A quick cross match or the group topic and content to sponsored links would work fine.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Well maybe I am one of the guilty ones as quite frankly most of this discussion is double dutch to me and and I have enough on my plate without investigating what you are all talking about. I found this site, I use this site, I post my questions and I get enormous help for which I am grateful. So excuse my ignorance but whatever is wrong I just dont see it.

Reply to
ss

Is it any wonder some of us (GG users) act like knobs occasionally when some of the rest of you look like t*ts?

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

Apart from calling this Newsgroup a "site" and being a Virgin customer ;-) you are doing everything right.

Reply to
Graham.

I don't mind them so much, except when they post a reply to a question that was asked 5 years ago, GG users are also notorious for this.

And when they try to send jpegs to the group also gets on my t*ts

Reply to
Phil L

I know I've done it a few times and I'm not ashamed. Firstly, I'd trust the answers I get on here over the FUD that might arrive via Google any day. Secondly, chatting to other human beings is so much more fun than chating to Google. One day technology will be so advanced that none of us will *need* to ask other human beings for advice. I hope that, nevertheless, we still will.

Alex

Reply to
Alexander Lamaison

What knob in particular?

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

But it wouldn't reach us out in Usenet Land, only those using the Google interface.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I've not noticed anything other than normal chat. I mean people engage in all sorts of b banter most of the time light hearted. Are we all so sensitive these days?

I can say this as I'm often poked about top posting blindness and misspelling, so its not just the googlepost types that get it. I tend to treat it as humour and ignore it as such unless its clever enough to comment on or rude enough to make me think the poster is out of line. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

On Friday 12 April 2013 00:09 Dave Liquorice wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Not really a problem - they would monetise their gateway for their users in the same way that DIYBanter et al do.

It woul donly be evil if they appeneded sponsored links to the bottom of each post - and then DIYBanter et al would follow, giving us corporation grade 100 line sig blocks.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Yes, but one assumes that compared to their other services the usenet gateway doesn't get that much use. Hence it's not worth spending any development time on.

We still wouldn't see it as the messages bewteen us don't go via google...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice