milling machine

hi guys i have purchaced a milling machine with a rotary vise sure works nice on wood i make oak wheals cutting in the end grain nice clean cut and perfact round wheels shoul have bouht one years ago thanks gilles snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com

Reply to
gilles

gilles wrote: | hi guys i have purchaced a milling machine with a rotary vise sure | works nice on wood i make oak wheals cutting in the end grain nice | clean cut and perfact round wheels shoul have bouht one years ago | thanks gilles snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com

Great! Can/would you post a photo to news:alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking?

Morris Dovey

ayup. I have a mill-drill as my main drilling machine in the shop. a rotary table is on the list of things I want to find at a yard sale someday....

the big disadvantage of a mill for woodworking seems to be slow spindle speeds.

Reply to
bridgerfafc

Get one of these machines from Grizzly:

rpm. Only $2850. :-)

It'd be a fun toy to have, but I can't justify the expense.

Harbor Freight has a cute little mini-mill I've been considering. It's probably the same as the one Grizzly has: . It's pretty small, but considering that I'm just tinkering and mostly making small toys for kids, it might be good enough for me.

Reply to
darkon

a rotary table is a pain to setup (G) what a hassle to get it right. speed is not a big issue use a hss endmill and just be careful when you exit the side grain that's when you can get blowout. other then that it is not a problem. I don't usually change speed anymore if I am not exiting side grain.

Reply to
Steve knight

Steve knight wrote: | On 14 Feb 2007 11:25:52 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote: | || ayup. I have a mill-drill as my main drilling machine in the shop. || a rotary table is on the list of things I want to find at a yard || sale someday.... || || the big disadvantage of a mill for woodworking seems to be slow || spindle speeds. | | a rotary table is a pain to setup (G) what a hassle to get it right. | speed is not a big issue use a hss endmill and just be careful | when you exit the side grain that's when you can get blowout. other | then that it is not a problem. I don't usually change speed anymore | if I am not exiting side grain.

Tip: If your setup allows you to plunge to cutting depth at the exit point, doing so before making the cut that's producing tearout will usually eliminate the tearout problem.

Corollary: If you have tearout at the beginning of a cut, try plunging to your cutting depth with the center of the bit at the edge of the stock.

HTH

Morris Dovey

good idea. also using a rougher helps out too.

Reply to
Steve knight