Where to buy wood in Melbourne florida

Hi; I am looking to buy small pieces of maple, walnut and maybe exotic wood for knife scales in Melbourne Florida. Does anyone know a local place to buy some? Lowes and HD do not sell it. Thanks Bead_runner

PS please do not respond by e-mail

Reply to
Bead Runner

I'm in Merritt Island and buy from Chipmunk Hardwoods in Edgewater, but they only sell in quantity 100bdft.+ You could try Woodcraft in Orlando. There are also a couple of Places in Cocoa. One is Foley's Lumber, the other I can't recall, but I know they sell a large selection $$$. A search on the web should bring them up. I'd be interested if you find anything in Melbourne. I know there is a Cypress distributor there and Kempfer Cypress Mill is in St. Cloud, down 192, but I've never bought from either of them. I know Chipmunk throws or gives away a bunch of scrap they trim off of stock. (They also custom mill) If you give them a call he may tell you to come a pick up a load for free. I was there once and he was talking about giving a pile to the Boy Scouts for a camp fire. I saw Mahogany, Ipe, Teak, Maple etc. Perfect for what you want. It broke my heart that they were going to burn it, there was some good size scrap in there. Good luck. Let me know how you make out.

Reply to
Kennor

Small world. I'm also on Merritt Island.

I buy much of my lumber from Quality Woodwork and Supply Co. in Cocoa. Prices are competitive and they have a rather good selection for such a small operation. Their website is here:

offer many exotic woods in their shop though their website may not show it. Lumber tends to be sold rough, but they do offer milling services for a few more sheckles. Since they do cut wood there, ask them about "cutting" you a deal on the scraps. ;-)

Call ahead if you ever need something in bulk. The thing I like about this shop is they tend to be "picky" about the wood they buy. They had just sent back a load of black walnut and red oak when I arrived. They didn't like the quality and wouldn't accept it. They had no walnut or maple in stock, and only a small stack of red oak (I bought 20bf). Another place may have accepted the shipment when their stocks were low.

As Kennor mentioned, Woodcraft in Orlando has a good selection. Prices tend to be premium over there, but nice quality. They also tend to sell small pieces where other places tend to sell bulk and rough lumber.

Home Depot only carries red oak and poplar. They used to carry maple, but no more. The guys at Quality WW said maple was getting harder to find in the SE. I don't know of what's available in Melbourne, don't get down to that end of town much.

Reply to
Robert