Where to buy wood

Just bought a new table saw (haven't been in the hobby for some years now, but have a new house that needs some good shelves etc...) and I was wondering....

Where do you folks buy your stock??

Both the local Home Depot & Lowes carry (at least) decent furniture-grade plywood, but I hate to give my business to the mega stores and figure there's GOT to be a better deal out there. The Ace down the street will order it for me, but at about twice the price I expected (and 4x4 sheets is as big as they go??).

I'm on the western side of North Carolina (Winston-Salem), but I'm not looking for a specific store so much as tips on TYPES of places to look.

Thanks in advance!

Reply to
The Fan

There are hardwood dealers. I don't know about your area, but you can go to

and come up with some, or event he Yellow Pages.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Try Steve Wall Lumber in Mayodan.

Art Donaldson

What you want is a hardwood lumberyard. You'll find that for the most part they are not at all like Home Depot or even Ace--what they do is lumber and not much else. They tend to be run by lumber people, not marketing people, so you'll probably find that the best selection is at the place that looks the least promising in the phone book. Best way to find out is to call around. Also try plugging your zipcode into Woodfinder .

Ace, Home Depot, and Lowes are terrible places to buy hardwood lumber--they've got precious little and that overpriced.

If you think the plywood that Home Depot and Lowes carry is "furniture grade" wait 'til you get a load of what _real_ high-grade hardwood plywood looks like.

If you want to see what the stock selection from hardwood yards looks like, take a look at (near you), , , or .

Reply to
J. Clarke

I buy all my wood from lumberyards, but HD beats them by a good margin on plywood; so guess where I buy my plywood. Also, I have no way to transport a 4x8 and HD throws in 2 cuts, which the lumberyards won't.

Reply to
toller

Reply to
Phisherman

No offense intended, but do you suppose there could be a connection between that, and the post you made last month about a plywood-panel door that twisted on you after assembly?

There *is* a reason that HD's plywood is less expensive, you know...

Doug Miller

Humm could it be it's now made in China.....????????

Reply to
Rumpty

I the Birch ply that I bought yesterday at a Connecticut BORG is clearly labeled "Made in Canada" along the edge.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y