Where to get raw materials in PA?

I've been out of the hobby for more than 20 years and have recently been buying up power tools to start up some new projects. I need lumber, hardwoods like oak in raw form. I can plane down rough cut wood but, don't know where to get the material. Home depot is something i'd like to avoid, besides there MUST be better options out there...

Thanks in advance.. Joe

Reply to
Joe

Tue, Apr 24, 2007, 8:28pm (EDT-3) snipped-for-privacy@buckscountyimaging.com (Joe) doth wonder puzzedly: I've been out of the hobby for more than 20 years and have recently been buying up power tools to start up some new projects. I need lumber, hardwoods like oak in raw form. I can plane down rough cut wood but, don't know where to get the material. Home depot is something i'd like to avoid, besides there MUST be better options out there...

I'd advise avoiding Home Depot too. Chek your local phone book. Ask at your local hardware store. Around here there's a real contractor's supply a couple of miles from me. There's at least 7 (seven) sawmills, that I know of, within 10 miles of whre I live. There's a URL called wodfinder, try that.

JOAT Expensive tennis shoes won't cure a sore toe.

- Bazooka Joe

Reply to
J T

Reply to
Thom

Best would be to ask other woodworkers where they shop. If you don't know any, try the yellow pages under woodworking supplies.

If you want it really raw, there are trees everywhere. I have done it for fun, but too much work for every day use.

Reply to
Toller

I'm not really trying (too hard) to be a smart ass, but there is certainly no shortage of lumber yards in Bucks County Pa.

(I lived in neighboring Schuykil County some years ago.)

Reply to
Larry W

Definitely better options than HD. Look around eBay - I know I've come across a few lumber-specific sellers from various places in PA (just a little too far from me to be practical). Also, check the ads in the back of woodworking magazines - I happen to have a FWW in front of me, and groffslumber.com and westpennhardwoods.com are 2 advertisers from PA. Hopefully someone in this newsgroup can recommend a specific place that'll be local to you - a good hardwood dealer is a great thing to have nearby. Good luck and have fun re-picking-up the hobby! Andy

Reply to
Andy

WestPenn is in Oneonta New York

Reply to