How to get small quantitities of milled & jointed hardwood?

I need about 10bf of milled and jointed 8/4 quartersawn white oak.

My challenge is finding a place that is willing to mill and joint it. Even a big place like Anderson-Mcquade (here in the Boston area) requires a special order to get it surface planed with the labor costing more than the wood. And even they won't joint it.

So, I am looking for help with a couple of options:

  1. Is there a local (Boston area) or Internet lumber store that will sell and finish plane & joint small quantities of hardwoods? (in my case 8/4 [or even 10/4 if available] quartersawn white oak)

  1. Are there any local small carpentry/cabinetry shops or hobbyists in the Boston area who would be willing to run a small batch of rough stock through their planer/jointer machines in return for some cash (or beer)?

I guess the other option mentioned was to take a continuing education shop class at the local high school but that doesn't sound like an immediate solution...

Thanks

Reply to
blueman

One possible solution cussed/discussed:

Swingman

If you need to purchase the wood to your specs, I don't think it would be a problem. I'd get out the phone book and start calling lumber yards and millworks in your area. Start with the ones closest to you. It may take a few calls but someone will do it.

If you already have the material and just need it milled, it will be more difficult, but I'd try the same procedure. Also, if you know a builder or finish carpenter I'm sure either could point you in the right direction.

Mike O.

Reply to
Mike O.

How far are you willing to travel? I'd call Downs and Reader in Stoughton. If they won't do it, try CT Wood Group in Enfield CT. They have a planer that does both surfaces at the same time in one pass. No extra charge.

Edwin Pawlowski

Thanks! Downs & Reader will mill it for me for a fixed $25 (which is about $200 cheaper than Anderson-Mcquade) while I wait. They also recommended a shop down the street that will do the jointing for an hourly rate.

Sounds like I need to start heading out to Stoughton more...

Reply to
blueman