Huntsville Wood Sources?

I recently moved to Huntsville, AL and finally have my own shop (gleeful cackle)! Now where to get good wood?

I'm looking for the following in the near term:

- Rough-sawn hard maple (I realize this isn't maple country, but it's me favorite!)

- Maple-veneer plywood (3/4")

- Baltic birch plywood (all sizes)

Anyone know of sources in or around the Huntsville area?

Many thanks!

Cam

Reply to
Cam

Hardwood sources are difficult to find in Huntsville proper.

I like Tennessee Valley Wood Products, 600 Main Street in Huntland, TN, (800) 292-9085. They sell several varieties of domestic hardwood lumber and veneer plywood. Most of the lumber is S2S, either 13/16 or

15/16. I bought some hard maple from them shortly before Christmas for $3.30/bf. Huntland is about an hour's drive up Winchester Road from Huntsville.

H&K Sawmill on Nick Davis Road (I think) near the Limestone County prison is a one-man operation, open only on Saturdays. He cuts, dries, and sells locally-available varieties. He normally has poplar, cherry, walnut, red oak, and some others, all rough. I've never been looking for maple when I've gone there and don't recall seeing any, but that doesn't mean he doesn't have any. Unfortunately I don't have any contact information; I just know where to find the place.

Hardwood Center in Scottsboro () sells several domestic and exotic varieties, mostly if not all S2S. I bought walnut there quite a while ago and found it rather pricey, but it's probably worth your while to take a look for yourself or at least give them a call.

Reply to
Chuck Taylor