Mortise and Tenon Machine?

I'm looking for a mid to high end mortise and tenon machine, not a template, not a jig, but an x,y, or x,y,z single or multirouter machine

with multi-lever action. I think Jet used to have one, but I can't find

it on their site. The only other one I found was at

but it's $2700 and I was looking

for something in the $1000 range. Can anyone suggest either a brand, supplier, or other info? Thanks.

Reply to
mpserf44

Both Powermatic and General make a mortising machine an with integrated cross-slide vise at the $1K price point.

Reply to
Stephen M

This is a quality tool in the price range but its not the Multi-Router.

Teamcasa

Woodworkers Supply in Casper, Wyoming sells a cheaper version of the multi-router. It has more plastic in it and is more intended for the wood hobbyist than is the industrial grade multi-router that JDS makes (the one that's on

If I remember correctly it was around $600 plus accessories and templates. When I saw it demonstrated at a wood show a couple of years ago it seemed to do a good job, although I noticed that there really isn't any tolerance adjustment for fitting tenons to mortices, except for the masking tape that the guy had wrapped around the follower pin when he was making the tenon so it would fit tighter in the mortice.

Reply to
Charley

for a passive device, isn't it?.... Am I missing something?

Reply to
Robatoy

The WoodRat. You supply the router. Basic cost is $650, but tooling will bring it up another $600. Get the introductory DVD for $5 and then decide if you want to buy it. I got mine in April and am amazed.

The Multi-Router from JDS operates on a similar principle. At $2500, it is better is some ways, but lacks the super dust collection of the WoodRat.

Download the brochure, the manual, or order here at chipsfly.com Click on the icon for "Machine Features". Superior support from this company.

Gary Curtis Los Angeles

Reply to
extiger

The WoodRat. You supply the router. Basic cost is $650, but tooling will bring it up another $600. Get the introductory DVD for $5 and then decide if you want to buy it. I got mine in April and am amazed.

The Multi-Router from JDS operates on a similar principle. At $2500, it is better is some ways, but lacks the super dust collection of the WoodRat.

Download the brochure, the manual, or order here at chipsfly.com Click on the icon for "Machine Features". Superior support from this company.

Gary Curtis Los Angeles

Reply to
extiger

Nope. It was more expensive when if first came out. I suspect it will continue to drop.

Reply to
Leon

The Leigh or the Multi-Router? I've decided to build my own Dave-Multi-Router after the first or the year. As for the Leigh tool, I saw it in action at a wood show and it worked really well, but for the money, it was too much.

Dave

TeamCasa

I meant the Leigh. I'm sure it works well?their stuff does. As is often the case, the flexibility which is designed into the tool seldom gets used to its full potential. That makes it hard to justify the expense. Low toy value.

The Multi-Router is expensive as well, and, IMHO, hardly a hobbyist product. (unless a well-heeled hobbyist) I can see it in a small scale production environment where it is fed dimensioned lumber all day long. Very high toy value.

Reply to
Robatoy

Maybe they are try to recoup their R&D in the first 100 pieces?

Reply to
Robatoy

I think we've become so used to cheap mass-produced stuff from China that when we're presented with a limited run item made in the USA we get sticker shock. (Assuming it IS made in the USA by workers earning a fine wage and health benefits and paid coffee breaks and all waste products disposed of properly and all safety equipment known to man bolted and strapped on and everyone paying a healthy share of taxes all the way around. )

Reply to
Joe Barta

I suspect they just felt secure in their niche. It was when I added up the prices on this general type of equipment that I decided to apply the crowbar for my ShopBot. BTW, I noticed on the SB forum

that back in October someone had advertized their 48x96 machine for $4K, more than what the OP is looking to spend, but still but a _lot_ more "bang for the buck".

Beside for mortise and tenon work that none of the machines mentioned could come near, it allows doing stuff like what I posted earlier today on ABPW under "MDF Scrap" - and makes me wish I hadn't wasted money on router jigs, fixtures, and accessories.

Morris Dovey

The Morris Dovey entity posted thusly:

But you can sure by a lot of jigs, fixtures and accessories (not to mention routers and tables), for what you'd have to spend on a ShopBot.

Reply to
Oleg Lego

I think we have become used to seeing what many items are really worth in a world market. I think the bubble has burst for the labor unions.

(Assuming it IS made in the USA by workers earning

IIRC made in Canada.

Reply to
Leon

OH!.. It's YOU again! *S*... the voice of reason!

You make too much sense. Maybe it is because of that little nudge here, and little nudge there that I get from you on a regular basis, but a Bot is in the 2006 budget... at least the expansion of shop space is. I just may have to rough it without the Colombo spindle for a while.. without the ArtCAM Pro software...without the big vacuum system...I have build-up systems before, in fact, I think that's what I like best about business..the growth.

Thanks for all the input, and I wish you the very best Christmas and prosperous 2006.

Rob

PS.. it's that piece of solid surface material on the fore-ground of this picture that tells me all I need to know (from an accounting standpoint....*s*)

Robatoy

| The Morris Dovey entity posted thusly: | || Beside for mortise and tenon work that none of the machines || mentioned could come near, it allows doing stuff like what I || posted earlier today on ABPW under "MDF Scrap" - and makes me wish || I hadn't wasted money on router jigs, fixtures, and accessories. | | But you can sure by a lot of jigs, fixtures and accessories (not to | mention routers and tables), for what you'd have to spend on a | ShopBot.

Starting out, I was afraid to consider used equipment and wasn't aware that there were some really good buys to be had. Had I known how to look for used equipment, I'd have paid far less (perhaps a fifth or a fourth as much) for a good used machine.

If I'd known what I've learned _since_ buying my machine, I'd almost certainly have paid to have a table and gantries welded up and then built the rest myself. Three-axis controller cards and stepper motors are available off-the-shelf.

I've been thinking seriously about CNC conversions for mini-mill (HF) and mini-lathe (Griz) for making small metal parts for the woodshop. Either can be built using all new components for under $2K. I have a programming background and was able to write the driver software for a $200 controller card in about an hour. It's /not/ rocket surgery!

There was a recent thread with a Dutch OP who built a CNC router and I'll guess that machine put him out of pocket less than $1K, and could be modified (only slightly) to become a wonderfully flexible CNC joinery machine capable of out-performing any/all of the off-the-shelf passive joinery machines - and produce joints impossible/impractical with templates.

Best of all, there's a _lot_ of free help available. The ShopBot and CNCZone forums (both of which welcome visitors) have been of considerable help to me.

Now you know more than I did when I started. :-)

Morris Dovey

What program(s) do you use to generate the plot files? Do they produce Gerber output, or something else?

I have considered this very thing, not only for woodworking, but for drilling numerous tiny, precision holes in printed circuit boards.

Started building a small X/Y/Z drill plotter back in 92, but never finished it due to various moves around the country. Finished most of the software, but never completed the hardware. It read Gerber files. The cost of big stepper motors and such relegated it to the back burner - I was going to salvage the parts from old equipment, but never found a good set of adequate matching motors.

I noticed that as well. Looked over some of his pages, and meant to reply to him, but life got in the way...

FWIW,

Greg G.

Reply to
Greg G

| In article , | "Morris Dovey" wrote: | || It was when I added up || the prices on this general type of equipment that I decided to || apply the crowbar for my ShopBot. | | OH!.. It's YOU again! *S*... the voice of reason!

:-)

| You make too much sense. Maybe it is because of that little nudge | here, and little nudge there that I get from you on a regular | basis, but a Bot is in the 2006 budget... at least the expansion of | shop space is.

Take a little time to look around at used 'Bots and at some of the recent [ahem] Chinese offerings. If I had it to do over, I think I'd still go for a ShopBot because of the support available from the company and other users - but I'd have waited for a really good deal on a used machine.

| I just may have to rough it without the Colombo spindle for a | while.. without the ArtCAM Pro software...without the big vacuum | system...I have build-up systems before, in fact, I think that's | what I like best about business..the growth.

The 5HP spindle is a delight; but I don't have any of the razzle-dazzle software - and my big vacuum system is a recycled refrigerator compressor and a set of pucks. Do plan on having dust collection in place from the very beginning.

Also take a bit of time to look around for alternate sources for the Colombo. You may find it available for less than the ShopBot price -- and there /are/ other good spindles available (both new and used).

| Thanks for all the input, and I wish you the very best Christmas and | prosperous 2006.

I wish you the same; and that 2006 is the year of the 'Bot for you - and that you make it pay for itself before the year ends. Feel welcome to call if I can be of help.

| PS.. it's that piece of solid surface material on the fore-ground of | this picture that tells me all I need to know (from an accounting | standpoint....*s*) |

you're getting really serious about this, join the ShopBot Forum and read it every day. Major new items this past week have ranged from a tutorial (from Quebec) about cutting curved moldings to a new blog (from South Africa) with a /lot/ of photos showing how to set up and do all kinds of interesting things with the 'Bot.

Morris Dovey

Oy vey.... even worse I'd suspect ;-)

Reply to
Joe Barta