external hard drives

I have all my stuff on a 1tb external drive....yesterday I bought another to back it up...doing it at the moment and it says it will take three and a half hours is this correct or is there a quicker way of transferring ?

Reply to
jim.gm4dhj

It depends on how fast your USB is. If you have USB 3 then that is about 500MB/s.

1TB is 1 million MB so that should take an absolute minimum of 33 minutes in a perfect world. If you are cloning a drive then this will be faster but if your are backing up files then there will be a serious overhead in finding and mustering the files for sending. this could be quite long if you have a well-fragmented drive as the computer must assemble the files and copy them which can add a serious overhead. I'm assuming that you have mechanical drives, if not then SSDs are faster since there is no fragmentaion time and no seek time.

If you have a USB2 drive then multiply that by about 10.

Remember that windows lies. That time may lengthen.

I usually advise people to get a cloud account. If you look about then you can get Office Family for about £60 a year on amazon and it comes with 1TB cloud storage. Just add it to your windows account and dump your files in there and never worry about losing them.

Andy

Reply to
andyW

sorry I thought that was what the groups were for .....as for my last two questions there as NO information on the internet about where to position the virgin galvanic isolator so what was I supposed to do ?... and loads of people on the groups had no idea either .... I knew what galvanic meant and what an isolator was but didn't realise the position in the coax would bugger up my internet until it happened................and three and a half hours to transfer 150 Gb from one hard drive to another seemed a bit excessive to me never having done it before and it seems there ARE quicker ways to do it which was all I wanted to know..... I find taking the piss is just typical of professionals trying to belittle someone who has no interest in computing or cable TV and just wants information...makes their head bigger and makes them feel superior I suppose....must try it myself when somebody asks a question about building construction or building control ....is it fun doing that and being an arsehole Walter ? ...but then again I have seen you do it for the last 20 years so you must like doing it ..... and I clean my arse with Aqueous cream so I doubt I will be asking for help with that having a cleanest arsehole on usnet regardless of what cole and mmf say.... ......so to sum up as I have always said particularly in relation to amateur radio, professionals always try to lord it over the hobbyist and I have seen this for the 46 years I have been in the hobby...but then again I only laugh at the insults as they just show up how nasty people can be and it doesn't hurt me in the least .......and it won't stop me asking what you professionals consider to be "silly questions"....what you and other need is help with your personality and ego problems....

Reply to
Jim GM4 DHJ ...

On Sun, 8 Nov 2020 09:44:52 +0000, "Jim GM4 DHJ ..." snipped-for-privacy@ntlworld.com wrote: <snip>

<snip>

Like when people think that telling someone trying to reduce the suffering to animals (by not consuming and exploiting them) and the pollution to the earth what meat they are about to enjoy you mean Jim?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

no

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

But you do SFA about animal cruelty

That is one way but there are other options. When you won't support the banning of slaughter by holding an animal by it's leg, being bled out whilst aware of it's environment it becomes clear your aims have nothing to do with animal welfare.

Quite, so you should endorse the use of animal products over plastic, like shoes. Mine are made or leather which is a renewable resource.

Nothing wrong with taking it seriously. Best not thrust it down others throats or the effect can be the complete reverse of your aims.

Reply to
Fredxx