Can you put a mains socket in a cupboard inside a bathroom?

Can you put a mains socket in a cupboard inside a bathroom?

Would be handy for connecting my washing machine, which is in the bathroom. Cupboard door is about 9" from basin, 3ft from toilet and 4'3" from bath.

Reply to
Eusebius

that old chestnut...no but it is coming so I was told years ago ....

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

When my french flatmate complained that there was no socket in the bathroom for her to plug her hairdryer in she then asked me for an extention lead, I said yuo;r not talking one into the bathroom it's illegal in the UK, she said I'm french so your laws aren't for me or words to that effect. So I said f*ck off then.

Reply to
whisky-dave

Extension lead in bathroom..... whoa!

So not allowed at present. Drill hole in wall it seems and take the mains cable outside to the hallway wall. .

Reply to
Eusebius

I have four of them inside the cupboard that contains the hot water cylinder. ;-) But they are RCD protected. Shelf under them to place things on charge. Can't stand seeing such things lying around plugged into the shaver socket.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The sockets are a legal no-no (I have some in mine, though:)) But surely a Fixed connection unit, so that it is permanently wired and cannot be unplugged, would be legal? After all that is what most electric towel rails and heaters have, and a permanently wired solution is legal for those.

Reply to
MrCheerful

Yes I have a fan heater on the wall but it;s hardwired which is what the regs required in the late 1980s I assume it;s the same.

Reply to
whisky-dave

Surely 'legal' isn't the right word in this discussion. Something is either according to the IEE wiring regulations or not. The regulations aren't the law.

In fact I believe that you can wire to any EU standard (at least until we leave the EU) and it would be 'legal'.

Reply to
Chris Green

En el artículo , MrCheerful escribió:

Me too, in another property. The builder who refurbished the bathroom threw his hands up in horror when I asked for it. I insisted as it was the only space available for the machine in the apartment. In the end, we agreed on an outdoor one similar to this:

on its own circuit with an RCD in the CU. It's hidden behind the machine so isn't accessible to Frenchwomen brandishing hairdryers.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

But can presumably be made available if Scandinavian?

Reply to
Adrian Caspersz

Sockets in bathrooms are now permitted (since 17th edition) *but* only if 3m or more from the edge of zone 1 - so not much use in small bathrooms. They would also be permitted if the cupboard could only be accessed with a tool.

The normal way of connecting would be with a switched FCU.

Reply to
John Rumm

OK against the regulations then. Either way, as far as I can tell from the regs anything can be in there if it is hard wired.

Reply to
MrCheerful

En el artículo , Adrian Caspersz escribió:

That would be an ecumenical matter.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

I may have recalled incorrectly, but it might be O.K. if

1) The cupboard can only be opened with a separate tool. 2) The closed cupboard meets the necessary Ingress Protection rating (IP rating) for its location in the bathroom.

*NOTE* I am not an electrician, and not qualified to advise. Please consult a qualified person, who is free to castigate me as fool who should not be allowed out without supervision.

Sid.

Reply to
unopened

You can but why not simply wire in the machine permanently? After all where would the wire come out when the door is closed?

Next question will no doubt be can I use an Arc welder in a Kitchen, or keep Chickens in the bedroom? :-) Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I have that problem in a shower room. To wire in permanently means removing a factory fitted, moulded on plug. Doing that negates the guarantee,

Reply to
charles

or a car IN a house like the merrycans did .....

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

So change the mains lead, in the event of guarantee problems replace the original. Or just cut the plug off, many people do that where the socket is above the worksurface, it should not be legal grounds to invalidate the guarantee.

Reply to
MrCheerful

That's generally the case - depending on the zone its in. Also it needs to pass the sanity check of "is it suitable for the location?". So if its somewhere its likely to routinely get splashed then a normal non weather proof accessory may not be ideal.

Reply to
John Rumm

Ah, you're an apprentice.

Reply to