OT: Contactless card fraud?

OK. I was thinking *person of interest* style.

Here is some news.. I have never used a cash machine! This may change as this may be the last year I bale hay for doorstep sale:-(

Reply to
Tim Lamb

It was sloppy, yes. Ha ha.

When *I* was a schoolboy in 1980s London, I saw public transport improve beyond recognition, thanks to Fares Fair.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Ah yes, the policy that was unlawful and had to be dropped the following year.

Reply to
Robin

But if you buy an oyster, and only ever top it up with cash in a shop rather than from bank transfer, they don't know who owns the card.

For true paranoia always switch off your mobile whenever travelling with the oyster, or "they" might build up a picture of which phone is always at the same location as that oyster!!

Reply to
Andy Burns

Contactless cards are just one flavour of "anything other than cash".

Reply to
Andy Burns

In article , tim... writes

Not at the time of use if the retailer is off-line.

Reply to
bert

I can understand HMRC having a preference for transactions which are traceable since it's more difficult to avoid tax on those. But I've still not seen any evidence that they are encouraging the public to use contactless cards or putting pressure on card issuers only to issue contactless cards. The rush to contactless is purely been driven by the card issuers.

Reply to
Roger Mills

You do realise that the "annoymous" datasets that the likes of Google, Facebook, Twitter, etc sell can be data mined just like that.

Person A uploads geo-tagged pictures of place X. Person B uploads geo-tagged pictures of place X. geo-tags of the pictures match within a few feet and minutes.

Person A uploads geo-tagged pictures of place Y. Person B uploads geo-tagged pictures of place Y. geo-tags of the pictures match within a few feet and minutes.

Person A uploads geo-tagged pictures of place Z. Person B uploads geo-tagged pictures of place Z. geo-tags of the pictures match within a few feet and minutes.

Hum Person A and Person B seem to spend time at the same place at the same time.

One or either of them uses say Google maps to get directions to Places X, Y and Z. Oh look they start at point A go to B then X, Y or Z, sometimes start at point B got to A then X,Y or Z. Or always start at the same point going straight to X, Y or Z. Not living together/living together?

That mapping info may well give address's for starting and vias. Wander over to the electoral roll and suddenly that "anonymous" data is no longer so anonymous...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

*shrug*

It had a dramatic and immediate effect on congestion, and kickstarted the increase in tube usage which continues (bear in mind we have more lines and stations now).

The single biggest innovation - and one which I note was never rolled back - was the travelcard. It seems stone age that at one point tube, rail and bus tickets were completely separate.

In the West Midlands (where I is), there are at least 3 different bus operators - and some journeys will require you purchase *3* individual tickets. I imagine there will be a pause there as people check their calendars - yes, it is 2017.

Regarding the legal action - it was taken by (Tory) Bromley who encapsulated the *it's not fair* whine of the right wing, as they didn't have a tube station, but were required to pay into "Fairs Fare". Maybe they were the inspiration for Thatcher telling us "there's no such thing as society". ?

Reply to
Jethro_uk

but that's not going to extract any money from you until they go back online

and then the security to make sure that they are valid merchant operates to stop bogus collectors of the data getting paid

tim

Reply to
tim...

Only if the person didn't tick the "leave me off the register sold to commercial entities" box on their registration form.

Reply to
Tim Streater

It's a lot worse in the US of A, where every tuppenny-ha'penny jurisdiction has its own "transit district".

Except that she didn't say that.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Who cares ? She acted it. As does her spiritual descendant Theresa May.

I have zero interest in anything politicians say (or don't say). Only what they do. Saves a lot of time.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

There is a possibility that some outfits ignore those. And if they did, what recourse does the consumer have in law ?

Reply to
Jethro_uk

And minimal public transport.

Reply to
Davey

I quite like to see people blaming a dead politician who's been out of power for a generation for things. It means I can be completely certain that they can utterly ignored.

Reply to
Huge

Oh, no. The current crop are just as bad.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Anybody watch Michael Portillo's "Great Railway/Railroad Journeys"? I find it interesting how empty the Amtrak trains generally are. Of course Americans either drive or fly, so passenger railways are in steep decline except for commuting.

I travelled between New York and Philadelphia a few times by train and although quite well subscribed, the trains were old, shabby and slow. And as for the SEPTA line from Philadelphia to Thorndale, PA., where my parents then lived, some of the stations had actually collapsed through neglect.

Reply to
Huge

It was a political action taken by a conservative council against Red Ken, with no regard as to whether is was of benefit to the majority of Londoners or not. As Bromley didn't have a tube line. So their rate payers were in effect subsidising things they had no direct access to. Although of course many will have used the tube as part of their commute.

Absolutely no surprise that Tories didn't like paying for the greater good. And are happy to shoot themselves in the foot to avoid doing so.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Not true! If people have opted out, you won't find then on online commercial sites. But you can still view the FULL register at the appropriate council offices.

Reply to
Roger Mills