OT: Contactless card fraud?

But that's cheating. If a ticket is the best way, you should have one for each individual journey. Since queuing up to buy them isn't a problem.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

My wallet has a hinge out window for your most used card. But do you really need to carry a wallet at all times?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

And finally a Freedom pass. Wonderful thing. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I thought you were keen on having ID cards, where else would you keep one?

Reply to
Andy Burns

Ticket machine at a deserted station; travelcards; season tickets...

Reply to
Max Demian

You cannot clone a chip and pin card or the internal wifi thingy. All you can do is extract the data which will be on the magnetic stripe.

Such a cloned card will not be accepted by any UK retailer (I hope).

You still don't have the 3 digit security code either.

And if like many people you have more than 1 contactless card and they are in your wallet and close together then the same card clash issue will arise anyway.

Since this is DIY, we need a foolproof way of disabling the internal antenna to disable contactless entirely but without compromising chip and pin.

Reply to
Andrew
[25 lines snipped]

Saw a small slot in the edge of the card.

Reply to
Huge

If I physically lose some cash that's my fault, different scenario to 'losing' it due to another persons lack of probity

Reply to
Andrew

But that means you have to fumble with your wallet and remove the card you intend to use (card clash issues) and then pass through the gates and then replace your debit card in your wallet.

All this during the rush hour when the London termini are crawling with pick pocketters noticing where your wallet goes back to, while the worlds flotsam and jetsam are pushing past to get their trains, plus the added danger that you might drop the card anyway by accident.

A prepaid oyster card , OTOH can be kept in your shirt pocket and easily whipped out and replaced.

Reply to
Andrew

My Oyster card has also registered the fact that I have a senior railcard, which makes Tfl travel a bit cheaper. How do they apply this fact to a debit card ?.

Reply to
Andrew

It's all about getting rid of the cash economy which costs HMRC oodles. Not to mention the drug dealing issue.

Reply to
Andrew

depends what you mean

There is no security in reading the cards

but there is security in processing payments made using them

tim

Reply to
tim...

IIRC neither do French toll machines

tim

Reply to
tim...

They can't.

"Discounts can't be added to contactless cards. This includes all National Railcard discounts.

If you're eligible for discounted travel, you should carry on using your existing Oyster card or Oyster photocard."

Reply to
Robin

In a pocket? Do you really need to carry every single card etc with you at all times? And all your cash?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Probably why they'd prefer you to use an ordinary debit card. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

What I was trying to get at was whether the readable data was plain-text account number, sort code, expiry date, and either PIN or security number, so that it could be used directly by thieves, or whether it was encrypted and only decoded in the reader or at the bank.

Reply to
newshound

I don't see how it is different to having your pocket picked.

Reply to
newshound

They don't, it's one of the reasons I continue to use my Oyster card rather than a contactless bank card.

Reply to
Chris Green

It's fairly obvious the advantages of an Oyster card ain't so many if you'd rarely use it. Same as any contact less method of payment. The more use you make of a card for purchasing things, the more time contact less saves. I was slightly wary of it at the start, but not now.

Perhaps it's just you being so keen on Brexit. You want to turn the clock back to when such things didn't exist. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)