How do I tell who made the shingles on my roof?

Hi, I posted this topic some time ago & received invaluable advice that

I may be eligible for a roofing claim. So - finally got out the ladder & hoped that something would be printed on the back of one of the shingles, however, nothing is printed there.

Checking

I see the process is to send unfolded shingles to the company to them to see if you're eligible. Can

do, but it's a bit of a fishing expidition, perhaps my shingles weren't

even made by them & I'm throwing good money after bad.

Is there any way to tell, even make an educated guess?

Also, I am open to green idea's like shingles-made-from-tires, or even photo-electric shingles. Let the url's fly! Thanks in advance. Paul

Reply to
Paul

I am familiar with the Certainteed claim process as I have been through it twice. First of all, "Certainteed" is ALMOST always printed (embossed) on the back of the shingle but there are EXCEPTIONS, especially on the Hearthstead brand that they made.

I really don't know of a sure way to determine the manufacturer if it is not marked on the shingle. If by chance your shingles are "4 tab" shingles they were definitely made by Certainteed because to the best of my knowledge no other company made a "4 tab" shingle.

Also, even if they are Certainteed and you are not the original purchaser of the shingle you must report the defect within two years after you purchased the home for the warranty to be valid.

Don

Reply to
IGot2P

Reply to