small tubes of grease

I'd like to find a source for small tubes of grease. Should be in the one to four ounce range. Possibly screw cap tube, like toothpaste tubes. Once in a while, I need a tiny bit of grease, to put on threads for reassembly. Don't need a whole pound like axle grease.

Ideally something in stores local, so I don't pay lots of freight for shipping.

Small enough to put conveniently in a tool kit. . Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus

. .

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

to four ounce range. Possibly screw cap tube, like toothpaste tubes. Once in a while, I need a tiny bit of grease, to put on threads for reassembly. Don't need a whole pound like axle grease.

Jesus. -----

- gpsman

Reply to
gpsman

four ounce range. Possibly screw cap tube, like toothpaste tubes. Once in a while, I need a tiny bit of grease, to put on threads for reassembly. Don't need a whole pound like axle grease.

I just fill some small waste containers like little jars. They don't even need to be air tight.

Reply to
Frank

four ounce range. Possibly screw cap tube, like toothpaste tubes. Once in a while, I need a tiny bit of grease, to put on threads for reassembly. Don't need a whole pound like axle grease.

Dollar store has syringes for injecting juice into meat. The grease will attack the rubber seal on the plunger. You'll still be able to force it in, but you won't get it back out.

I use insulin syringes filled with gun oil for fan bearings.

Reply to
mike

four ounce range. > Possibly screw cap tube, like toothpaste tubes. Once in a while, I need a tiny bit of grease, > to put on threads for reassembly. Don't need a whole pound like axle grease.

How about bicycle grease? It's kind of overpriced, but it fits your criteria.

Otherwise, it's pretty easy to refill a tube of toothpaste; I do this all the time for backpacking with the little travel-sized tubes, and have refilled the same one about a half dozen times already. The "trick" is to just hold the output (source) tightly against the tube you want to fill, and squeeze the source tube.

It wouldn't take much effort to do the same with a grease gun and a tube of toothpaste. The trick here would be cleaning all of the toothpaste out of the empty tube, but a few shakings with hot water, followed by drying it out, would supply you with the tube.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

Just as you can buy synthetic motor oils, you can also buy 100% synthetic greases.

THE FIRST fully synthetic grease on the market was Permatex's "Super Lube", which came out about 12 years ago and is still an excellent all-around grease to use in all seasons and for all reasons. Permatex is a division of the Loctite Company.

This picture shows a 3 ounce (85 gram) tube. It's about 5 inches tall and 1 1/2 inch wide with a screw top cap.

[image:

It also comes in smaller tubes:

[image:

It's clear in colour and fairly light in viscosity so far as greases go. If I were looking for an all-purpose grease to keep in a truck or tool box, this is the one I'd go with.

Reply to
nestork

Check auto parts stores. They sell small tubes of dielectric grease, white grease, lithium grease, etc.

SRN

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in news:NGWdt.4991$ snipped-for-privacy@fed02.iad:

Check out your local AutoZone or equivalent auto parts store. What you want is readily available there.

Reply to
Tegger

Almost tempting to buy as I shoot and use grease on crossbow rails. I've been using white lithium grease and the pound out in the garage will last for many years. A pound of this grease costs about as much as the 3 oz tube of synthetic.

Reply to
Frank

four ounce range. Possibly screw cap tube, like toothpaste tubes. Once in a while, I need a tiny bit of grease, to put on threads for reassembly. Don't need a whole pound like axle grease.

Why not just use a regular grease gun, barely squeeze the trigger and use the tiny amount at the tip. that's what I do!

Reply to
generic

[...]

By gosh, I think he's got it. I live near a couple Advance Auto. I bought a tube of thier 3 ounce dielectric grease, a while back. Stil have a bunch, I can squirt that into hypo syringes, and put in my tool box. The smaller tubes are less of a value, in the price per ounce department.

Check auto parts stores. They sell small tubes of dielectric grease, white grease, lithium grease, etc.

Stormin Mormon

You shoot? The popular view of gun owners is that you're a homicidal maniac who goes into schools and kills kids? Eeek! Hide!

Almost tempting to buy as I shoot and use grease on crossbow rails. I've been using white lithium grease and the pound out in the garage will last for many years. A pound of this grease costs about as much as the 3 oz tube of synthetic.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

four ounce range. Possibly screw cap tube, like toothpaste tubes. Once in a while, I need a tiny bit of grease, to put on threads for reassembly. Don't need a whole pound like axle grease.

What kind of grease? You can find both silicone and white lithium in small tubes at your local auto parts sellin' emporium. Also bearing grease is sold in small tubs still for hand packing wheel bearings (as well as the usual tubes for your grease gun.)

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Why not just use a regular grease gun, barely squeeze the trigger and use the tiny amount at the tip. that's what I do!

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

four ounce range.

Messy to keep in your toolbox... even my good Lincoln grease gun will seep some of the lighter fractions of the grease around the bottom if infrequently used.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

They actually have small grease guns, less than half the size of a normal grease gun. But I still wouldn't recommend it because of the seepage.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel