Partially disputing credit card charge

Partially disputing credit card charge. All or nothing?

This probably won't be necessary, but the thought makes me curious:

I've never used a credit card much until the last year, and even now, I don't buy much.

And maybe I just deal with okay people, but this time, we negotiated on the phone and when the bank alert and the store receipt came in, it was for the original price and not the compromise price ("compromise" because earlier an even lower price had been offered but then the store never got around to shipping. When I called months later it said the price had gone up.)

So if you challenge a charge with the cc company, is it all or nothing?

I want to pay the agreed upon price, and I just want to challenge the difference. I know if they agree with the customer, the cc company will reverse the whole charge, but do they ever just refund the amount in dispute?

Seems to me that would be much simpler and more likely to lead to a fair result.

Reply to
micky

Why do you have to dispute it with the credit card company to begin with? Did you call the vendor, explain the problem and ask them to refund the difference?

Reply to
trader_4

It's a theoretical question based on the presumption that the vendor refused. I'm not asking for advice. I'm asking the question above.

Reply to
micky

Delete the middle sentence from my previous answer. It really wasn't necessary and people, including me, give unasked-for advice here all the time. I think it shows how the fighting on serious subjects affects my mood (our moods?) when in the ng in general.)

Reply to
micky

Yes, you can dispute a partial amount. Simply tell the credit card issuer the details of the over-charge.

The credit card company will refund you that amount pending the resolution of their investigation.

Be prepared to provide them with details; e.g. the name of the person you negotiated with, the basis for the discount, etc. The more thorough and factual you are, the more likely you are to win the dispute.

If it is a small amount, the merchant might not even bother trying to refute your claim. If it is a large amount, be prepared for some push-back.

Reply to
Dove Tail

One thing that starts trouble is people changing their story and then blaming someone for giving a solution to what they asked. Now you say this isn't real, it's a "hypothetical". That sure isn't what you posted:

"And maybe I just deal with okay people, but this time, we negotiated on the phone and when the bank alert and the store receipt came in, it was for the original price and not the compromise price ("compromise" because earlier an even lower price had been offered but then the store never got around to shipping."

Over and out.

Reply to
trader_4

First and foremost, if you insist on negotiating verbal transactions, at least record them.

Secondly, as soon as the bank alert landed on my phone I would have called the shyster back, played the tape, and if  necessary shipped the item back to the merchant and demanded a full refund plus shipping.

And if the shyster didn't play along, then I'd go the credit card charge-back route.

Reply to
Shyster

An ASSUMPTION is based on the fact that you ASSUME. You know what that means --- Makesan ASS of U and ME.

Your theoretical questionsget tiring - but what I would do is have the credit card company reverse the charge, then send the seller a letter explaining the problem, along with a cheque for the agreed-on amount, stating that by cashing the cheque they are accepting it as paiment in full for the purchase in question.

Problem solved. They either cash the cheque, or they don't.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

I guess saying this didn't help at all.

You have to learn to read better**. I didn't change the story, and I didn't blame you for giving a solution to what they [I] asked. Because I didn't blame you for anything. I said not a word about you in my first answer and in my second answer, I justified you. And you dind't give a solution to what I asked because I didn't ask for a solution to the original problem. I asked what what a cc company would do.

Look at where the question marks are in my original post:

Your alleged solution is in no way an answer to my questions

I never said or implied that the situation isn't real. It is real, but the question is hypothetical, and that's what I said. The question arose from a real situation, but I'm asking for the sake of all such possible situations, to know if a credit-card dispute has to be all or nothing.

**Here I'm blaming you. But I hadn't done so before. Maybe you think I blamed you because you see that you answered a question I didn't ask, and it causes you to regret that you didn't read better. But I didn't blame you or say a word about you until this very post.
Reply to
micky

ROFL. You think maybe it's time to take some responsibility for what you write? Again, you wrote this:

"Partially disputing credit card charge. All or nothing?

This probably won't be necessary, but the thought makes me curious:

I've never used a credit card much until the last year, and even now, I don't buy much.

And maybe I just deal with okay people, but this time, we negotiated on the phone and when the bank alert and the store receipt came in, it was for the original price and not the compromise price ("compromise" because earlier an even lower price had been offered but then the store never got around to shipping. "

You said, this time and described what was going on. That presents a real, live case.

Now you say it was actually just a purely hypothetical. So, why write a whole BS long winded story? If the hypothetical situation was what you wanted an answer to, you should have just written:

"If I need to dispute a credit card purchase with the CC company, will they ever do a partial refund?"

See how easy that was? One sentence. Maybe it's time for you to take a writing course?

I didn't change the story, and I

Seems there rarely is a satisfactory solution to the many life problems you encounter.

Reply to
trader_4

trader_4 posted for all of us...

I agree with that.