Building control rules for lintel/RSJ over new doorway

What is 'building control reportable' for a new doorway? I.e. is there a width below which you don't need to involve building control?

My daughter is turning a small adjacent bathroom into an en-suite and thus wants to make a new doorway between bedroom and [new] bathroom. It's not going to have a door in it but it will be about door size. It's in a brick wall which is part of the structure of the house, though it's internal, obviously!

While I'm about it how much involvement of building control would be involved in repositioning the WC which will require a new downpipe (we think)?

Reply to
Chris Green

Building Control will certainly want to know about a new doorway in a structural wall - even single door width in an internal wall.

As far as moving the toilet is concerned, they won't be interested in anything above ground[1] but they will be interested if you need to make any new connections to the underground sewer.

[1] Having said that, there are certain restrictions about where you can have toilets adjacent to eating areas, etc.

It would be a good idea to discuss what you want to do with your local BCO. I've always found them very helpful. They would far rather help people to get it right in the first place rather than needing to take enforcement action after it's been done wrongly.

Reply to
Roger Mills

Thanks Roger.

Reply to
Chris Green

Don't tell them bugger all. Just go ahead and do it. It's trivial.

Reply to
harry