Toby

Back up now

Cash

Reply to
Cash

They just put a quid in the meter :-)

Reply to
Toby

In message , "george [dicegeorge]" writes

Glad it wasn't just me

Reply to
geoff

In message , Cash

Reply to
geoff

works for me at 00:20

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Can't see it either.

Reply to
Tim Streater

lookup from the root name servers or my ISPs name servers for bbc.co.uk,

or news.bbc.co.uk.

[dave@srv1 ~]# dig news.bbc.co.uk

; DiG 9.2.4 news.bbc.co.uk ;; global options: printcmd ;; connection timed out; no servers could be reached

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Reply to
Peter Crosland

"The outage set Twitter alight with angry fans questioning how such a breakdown happened."

"Some users, writing online, have speculated that the site had been subject to a massive distributed denial of service (DDoS) attack."

Some people really do need to get a life.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

This sounds strangely familiar:

Mr Herrmann wrote: "Normally this would not cause any problems as we plan for events like this and run backup equipment. But, in an unusual turn of events, these also failed meaning that the whole of BBC Online became unavailable."

Perhaps it was caused by a tsunami ...?

Reply to
Terry Casey

did the ground move for you just before?

Reply to
dennis

So someone blew their routes away.. could be anyone with tier 1 access..

"Me Iranian ISP,. all your bases belong to us"

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

NOT a DDOS, but a spoof BGP announcement could do it beautifully.. happened to us once. Some ISP in colorado mistyped a line and started routing half our UK customers to Denver.

starting with you perhaps?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Nope. I'll lay odds it was an accidental or malicious broadcast of a different route to the beeb from one that ends up AT the beeb.

That's beyond the ability of an individual hacker, but not beyond the ability of a 'trusted ISP' and the beeb is an ISP itself in that context.

Look up how BGP works..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Indeed - and why suspect a conspiracy when just plain old "life" would account for it just as well.

Reply to
Skipweasel

In article , Peter Crosland writes

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

In article , The Natural Philosopher writes

The Chinese did just that recently, routing 15% of the entire internet's traffic through its own routers. They claimed it was a mistake, was it bollocks. They were scanning the traffic for useful information.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson