Old-style Drano crystals -- have they disappeared down the drain? (2023 Update)

What happened to the "old-style" Drano "crystals"?

Used up my last trusty can of this stuff, but it seems to have disappeared from stores and from online.

Has it been withdrawn from the market as a product?

I see this now available:

Same product? Or...?

Reply to
J.Albert

rbowman

rbowman provided the link:

That's - unavailable for pickup and

- delivery: currently unavailable.

In other words... they don't have it any more.

Reply to
J.Albert

Apparently some states require purchases of Drano to be recorded and sent to the state (because it's been used as a weapon in a small number of attacks). Illinois, for example, requires the purchaser to present ID and the purchase info is transmitted to the state. Rather than build the appropriate techniques to do this, many stores simply stopped carrying the product.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

When Drano is illegal... The local Lowes does have 'Roebic Laboratories, Inc. 32-oz Drain Cleaner Crystals' for $14.98 in Aisle 16 Bay 10. The label says it's 100% lye.

According to Wikipedia the name was changed to 'Drano Kitchen Crystals Clog Remover' in 2016. The local Home Depot, Ace, as well as Amazon shows it in stock. Lowes can find it on a search.

says it heats up so it must be the original formula with powdered aluminum to react with the lye.

Reply to
rbowman

The main reason why you cant get It anymore cause its one of the additional ingredients you need to cook meth

Reply to
vulgardisplay

Last year I bought a plastic jar of ZEP crystal heat drain opener at the HD local. Works as well for me as Drano used to. Maybe they still sell it.

Reply to
Peter

$5.58 at Wally's....

Reply to
Wade Garrett

I believe I'm the originator of this thread, some time back.

I tried the ZEP crystals, they work... but not quite as well as the old Crystal Drano did...

Reply to
Fishrrman

I can't find it either! The new stuff just doesn't work! I can't afford a plumber every time my bathroom sink gets a build-up of hair and soap scum. I need that original drano! What happen to it?

Reply to
Linmarie221

A piece of screen can get the hair so you never need a cleaner.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

OK, you twisted my arm - I'll share my < patent pending >

bathroom sink/tub/shower tool for removing hair ... Find one of those ~ 18 - 24 inch zip ties < cable tie >

and slice a few angled cuts into the pointy end - which you will stick down the drain and jig around until the cuts snag some hair and you pull it out and carefully grab the hair and pull out the big wad of hair that the snagged hairs are attached to. Repeat a few times ; rinse off the magic tool for future use. Warning - the stuff that clogs drains is disgusting - it's not my fault. John T.

Reply to
hubops

Ed Pawlowski snipped-for-privacy@snet.xxx wrote in news:BbClJ.113330$ snipped-for-privacy@fx48.iad:

The original post is at least 2 years old, but here's my 2 cents worth.

I've got a bathroom vanity that has double sinks, each has a p-trap, but after that, both are combined to a single drain behind the sheet rock. Perhaps once or twice a year, both clog at the same time. I've removed both traps and tried to snake into the wall, past the removed traps, but the angle headed downhill, under the house, is just too acute. I then go under the house, with a 25' snake, and still can't get anything loose either above or below towards the sewer or cleanout. I'm never quite sure where the clog is, but I've always believed it's just beyond both traps, in the wall where they both join.

So what I decided to do one year was to use

Max Gel Pro Strength Clog Remover

I slowly pour down 1/2 of a 32 oz. bottle down one of the double vainith sink's drain, and let it sit for 30 minutes. I pour the remaining 16 oz. down the other drain.

While I wait the 30 minutes, I boil (a full boil) 4 quarts of water in a pot on the stove. Sometimes 6 quarts if my wife isn't using the larger pot. I very carefully carry the boiling water from the kitchen to the bathroom, and slowly pour the entire amount down one of the drains. It completely clears both drains, but nonetheless, I boil anothe pot of water and pour it down the second drain. Works all the time.

Reply to
RStreets

You'd think, wouldn't you? Unfortunately the thing gets pushed out of the way sometimes. Moreover, toothpaste spit clogs it up every other day.

I like that. You can buy a plastic thing at the dollar stores with a lot of hooks, but unfortunately the thing is easily breakable. Fortunately it broke within reach. The nice thing about zip-ties is you can make a thing long enough to MAYBE reach the clog.

I don't want to know what the black goo is made of, I just want it to go away.

Somewhere a long time ago I bought a sink trap with an o-ring gasketed trap door at the bottom. I keep a rubbermaid container under it in case it leaks, but it never has. Unfortunately the kitchen sink clog happens a considerable distance away, requiring shoving a garden hose down the cleanout and turning the water on all the way. So far, so good.

We once had to rent a 50-foot (or maybe 100-foot, it was a while ago) power snake and feed it down the standpipe from the roof. Whoever plumbed our house did it with definite criminal intent.

Reply to
The Real Bev

I bought one from Harbor Fright that I have only used a few times but it paid for itself each time. I put wheels on it so it is easy to roll in from the shed when I need it. Usually the best way is to pull the crapper farthest away from the exit of the soil pipe. I keep a spare wax ring or two right there with the snake. I also have a smaller one, 25' or so that goes in a 2" and you run it with a drill.

Reply to
gfretwell

ZEP commercial Crystal Heat drain opener crystals are very similar and work the same way and are inexpensive. Comes in a 2 lb plastic cannister. I purchased mine a few years ago at my neighborhood HD and only need to use it about 2-3/yr.

Reply to
Retirednoguilt

Someone upstairs from my mother put Drano in her kitchen drain, it backed up into my mother's kitchen sink and ruinge an expensive pot that was sitting there.

I think there are better things than drano. Can't you keep that stuff out of the drain?

Reply to
micky

I have zip-ties that are 3 feet long.

I used one to snake a wire above the windwhield to power the sunvisor mirror light, iirc.

A girl I knew asked me to fix her drain. It was disgusting but she noticed and specifically mentioned that when she effusively thanked me. I don't think I had to touch it and merely looking at it didn't bother me much.

No black goo that time.

My own drains have never clogged in 50 years** except the toilet once, and quick plunger took care fo that.

**And probably not the 18 I lived at home.
Reply to
micky

The original post is 2 years old, but the one we're replying to, by Linmarie, is one day old.

Reply to
micky

That is a good use for that box of nitrile gloves you are hoarding since covid started. I usually wear rubber gloves when I am cleaning out old wax rings too.

Reply to
gfretwell