Drano safe for PVC pipe - frequent use?

We have a shower that gets clogged constantly with hair. It has a grill on it, but it's not doing the job apparently (drain grill). The PVC pipes leading off from it go down and pass above the massive breaker box in the basement. Is frequent Drano use going to erode the PVC glue such that it will drip down into the breakers and electrocute whoever is in the shower at that magic moment?

thanks.

bp

Reply to
Blake Patterson

Drano won't hurt the glue joints, Blake. However - keep in mind that if you're using the crystal Drano that if it does not completely dissolve, it will harden and complicate the problem. You might want to take the drain grate off, and add some sort of mesh behind it. Landscaping cloth or nylon mesh are two good back-ups for these uses. Just be sure not to lose the cloth down the drain (secure it to the grill.)

Another reason for a shower drain constantly getting clogged with hair is that not all of the hair is removed from the trap. You could use a small cable auger to remove the bulk of it and then use your drain cleaners as you see fit. I don't care for liquid drain cleaners because they just don't do the same job as an auger. I've got a 5' stall shower that had the same problem. I purchased the cable (no longer have my plumbing business) at Lowe's for under $14 - ran it only about 5' and once every month or so I pour about 2 gallons of boiling water down the drain. This helps to dissolve soap, shampoo, conditioner, etc. I haven't had a problem in the five years I started doing this. Since you've got PVC drain lines, the barrel of the pipe should be smooth (unless there was a burr on a pipe cut when it was installed.) With a little luck - the cable might remove the burr.

Good luck.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Mc Namara

Get a fine screen cover for your drain and clean it after every use. Some look like a rubber hat that lays over your drain. These work great. I've seen these in "dollar" stores. A drain snake will remove

99% of clogs. "Drano" is an absolute last resort--it may not harm the PVC but it is a nasty chemical to store, handle, and use.
Reply to
Phisherman

There are several different products packaged and labeled under the Drano label besides the original caustic soda product. Some are enzyme, some are bacteria, some are a combination of both and either will clear the hair and soap from a drain if poured in and left overnight without running more water down the drain. Look for the green caps.

Tom J

Reply to
Tom J