ping AJH

I have another seriously large fallen Oak.

The crown and canopy are propped 8-10' off the ground on the root ball and snapped off limbs.

Is there a technique for removing the *props* without trapping the saw? I don't have access to a winch and I doubt any of my tractors would have enough traction to roll it over.

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Hard to tell from your description but if it cannot be settled by removing tips bit by bit I guess the first step is to remove as many free branches as possible without destabilising it, then sever the root ball by boring, to avoid splitting and then rolling it.

Photo might be handy.

You're welcome to use my 8 tonne 3 point linkage farmi or 5 tonne tirfor.

AJH

Reply to
andrew

In message , andrew writes

Job done!

I managed to clear the branches down one side and take off the protruding roots. With some chains hitched high up the trunk and the loader tugging down hill it came over.

Indeed. I wish I enjoyed file handling:-(

Umm... Neither Tinypic or Photobucket appear to be working today!

Long way to fetch:-)

Working with a single chain saw and only wedges to avoid trapping there were some tricky moments with the trunk supported on two broken off limbs.

I'll retry a photo this evening.

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

A touch of hair dye, some photos in the local press and hey presto its a YFC charity drive

Reply to
David P

And the photos. Hopefully....

regards

Tim Lamb

AJH

Reply to
andrew

I had in mind 8"x2" for eventual conversion to flooring. Do the limbs have any value beyond firewood?

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

way down.

Enough gadget wood to keep a scout troop supplied for years ;-)

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

Yes. 11kV but not necessarily energised. Our village also has an underground supply cable from elsewhere.

I have a seasons worth of firewood from the top alone. Now to get the rest of the limbs home and repair the damage to my grass.

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Depending on whether those epicormic bumps are just that or callused over pruning wounds, beams are best bet, flooring will need good quality.

Doesn't look like it unless you know a traditional boat builder.

AJH

Reply to
andrew

Ah. They look like pruning wounds. Just not in the last 60 or so years:-)

Perhaps rafters for re-roofing the Victorian barn. I don't need any more beams. My sheep man wants it for barn building but I don't see much return from that.

The one standing beside it has a clean trunk and branch rot setting in....

This is about as far from the sea as you get!

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb