Dangerous saw

On "Ambulance Code Red" (Channel 5) this week, one of the incidents was a guy who had apparently been trimming guttering with what appeared to be a circular saw blade mounted on an angle grinder.

There appeared to be no blade guard of any kind, and he had managed to cut open his abdomen. 24 stitches were required, but there was no mention of lasting effects, so he was extremely fortunate.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

ffs...a multitool is just as good and helluva lot safer.

Reply to
Davidm

DIY is a great thing.....what about the father and son who both died when an angle grinder went wild ? ......I blame the gyroscopic effect myself.....

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

Could it have been a segmented diamond cutting disc rather than a circular saw blade?

Lots of people take them off!

Reply to
John Rumm

yes bloody health and safety

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

You know what they say about foolproof.

If you want horror stories, the guy who decapitated his wife when the hedgetrimmer he was using fell from his hands while he was up a ladder takes some beating.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Im alway amazed when watching youtube videos of USA woodworkers. No splitter and no guard in evidence

Reply to
fred

go on take a chance....

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

Back in the early 80s I did some work in Pakistan with their Army. One day I needed to use a bench grinder. I was led to a workshop full of old machines- probably WW2 vintage. Immaculately cleaned and polished etc. However, not a safety feature in use. The normal guide you have on a bench grinder was folded away. I asked for a spanner an set it where it should be. They?d never seen it used. I had some safety Goggles which I left for them. I drew a diagram to show where they should fit a safety screen. I doubt it ever was fitted.

A shame, the craftsmanship was excellent. They made some parts locally I needed which where perfect- made on machines older than me from a rough sketch and ready the next day.

Reply to
Radio Man

fenestrating Brian .....but life is cheap in wagga wagga land...

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

Do you think he practised a lot first?

Reply to
GB

Even chain saws go to *tick over* when hands free so something suspect about his story.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

+1
Reply to
newshound

Not for cast iron - cutting discs work extremely well

Reply to
nothanks

Who said anything about a chainsaw ? You made that up all by yourself.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

a >>> ladder takes some beating.

Electric hedge trimmer with sticky "on" lock, like my reciprocating saw?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

'cause the fecking things get in the way and/or stop you seeing what the saw is up to. And they do litle to stop kick back, currently have a wounded finger where a small off cut (2 x 1 x 3/4) kicked back hit finger then roof of garage...

And there is nothing quite like witnessing a near miss or three or seeing the older operators with fingers missing to teach "be careful, it bites".

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Yes. Kindly explain what hedge trimmer he was using?

Reply to
Tim Lamb

OK. But I doubt a finger bar trimmer could sever anything more than

50mm diameter. >
Reply to
Tim Lamb

If its like my table saw, such things were not standard fit when it was made in 1948!

(One can retrofit a splitter into the inset plate, but doing a proper riving knife would be difficult)

Reply to
John Rumm