OT BBC website has disappeared!

Don't those guys also make windmills..?

Horsedrawn durch technik.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Yup. Though in this case it looks like the usual single point of failure, failed..

So many times I have seen that happen, yea even unto the diverse routes fed through different fibre providers that sadly were all in the same duct up the M1 that the digger dug up..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

No. The people who have so much time on their hands, or feel the need to be twattering about the BBC website.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

Morgellons? (removes tongue from cheek)

Reply to
Skipweasel

One thing we did at my last job, when we were getting dark fibre from the likes of COLT, was to check the routing. So if we had fibre from London to Paris, and London to Amsterdam, we made sure we weren't getting both routes via the Channel Tunnel, or the same fibre bundle across the Channel.

Reply to
Tim Streater

I expect someone shagged up a DNS update.

Reply to
Huge

I wasn't getting a DNS lookup to even start sending packets in any direction. That was either using my ISPs DNS servers or the root servers.

Would a BGP error have the same effect? Shirley I'd get a DNS response just not a very useful one.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Depends if the beeb hosts the authoritative domain or not, and how short their timeouts are.

A LOT of people run their won DNS servers with just such short domains so they can failover to a backup machine if needs be

In this case it looks like teh kit repsonible for diverse routing itself failed, so the whole site vanihed.

lest see

#dig soa

; DiG 9.7.1-P2 soa

;; global options: +cmd ;; Got answer: ;; ->>HEADERHEADERHEADER

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher