SOT: BBC Internet Radio

SOT: because I'm building an internet radio from/for a Raspberry Pi

Does anyone know of a definitive list of BBC Radio URLs?

I'm going round and round web sites that describe why they've switched off WMA and all the complaints about it, but I can't find a definitive list of HLS URLs. It can't be complicated, but it feels like a conspiracy of silence.

Any pointers would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Reply to
WeeBob

WeeBob scribbled

Jonno

Thanks, but doesn't give URLs for internet radio.

It gives links to browser-based players, but I'm trying to build a streaming radio - with no browser. The listen-live button on all these sites requires JavaScript support so that they can send you a page of obfuscated code that doesn't reveal the streaming URL.

Reply to
WeeBob

It's probably put together by the same crowd that do iPlayer, and if it works, that means it must be changed or eliminated.

Reply to
Davey

Best of luck, the BBC seem intent on making it incredibly difficult to find out such things.

This site is fairly useful though it takes a while to find what you need:-

cl

I don't follow you, what must be changed or eliminated?

(The page code doesn't reveal the URL for the stream.)

Reply to
WeeBob

Go to:

(Bit of a storm.)

Post #92 identifies URLs for the national stations.

Reply to
WeeBob

Do you mean if you switch off JavaScript and examine the source code?

That site hides the URLs and disables your browser context menu (right click).

Probably so that it is used as a portal rather than a reference.

Reply to
WeeBob

Does this help?

The following info is based on a post made to the get_iplayer mailing list: The BBC has retained a single SHOUTcast stream of each service using the mp3 codec. For anyone interested ... a template URL would be:

where [vpid]= any of: bbc_radio_one bbc_radio_two bbc_radio_three bbc_radio_fourfm bbc_radio_four_extra bbc_radio_five_live bbc_radio_five_live_sports_extra bbc_6music bbc_asian_network bbc_world_service bbc_london bbc_radio_cornwall (etc.) These mp3 streams are all at 128kbps (even for Radio 3), except for World Service, which is at 48kbps! The BBC local radio streams sound significantly better than their WMA predecessors and are 2-channel streams but most of them are currently carrying mono audio. Perhaps this will change in time... For those interested in the Radio 3HD stream (AAC at 320k) this can be found at From info at
it seems the BBC are introducing 320k AAC streams of their other stations but the Radio3 HD stream above is the only one I know of which currently plays well on a PC. I've tried others using VLC but they put a heavy drain on system resources and don't play reliably on PCs I've tried them on.

-
Reply to
Al

Since I last used it! What a pain. I used it just a couple of days ago to get URLs for Radio Tray.

The URLs are still displayed at the bottom of Firefox for me though.

Reply to
cl

Context menus are working for me on both Opera[1] and Firefox, giving the option to save a .pls playlist file for the beeb radio stations.

eg. bbcradio1.pls

This will open with my associated program Winamp and stream from there.

On editing the .pls file I spotted a couple of long ID type codes on the end of the streaming link but the streaming works fine if they are edited out.

eg. File1=

vs: File1=

Even if context menus are disabled then editing the browser application actions on .pls to 'ask' rather than execute or save should give you the option on how to continue.

Thanks for the heads-up on the site and the option to stream without browser & flash.

[1] admittedly with context menu hijacking disabled (Opera)
Reply to
fred

I got these from another website. I have used them myself before, but I now can't get them to work.

Radio 1 (128kbps AAC)

Radio 2 (128kbps AAC)

Radio 3 (320kbps AAC)

Radio 4 (128kbps AAC)

Radio 5 Live (128kbps AAC)

6 Music (128kbps AAC)

Radio 1xtra (128knps AAC)

Radio 4 Extra (128kbps AAC)

Radio 5 Live Sports Extra (128kbps AAC)

Asian Network (128kbps AAC)

Michael Chare

I don't think most anyone knows as yet when they are, the new ones that is, several adverse comments on the broadcast forums;(...

Reply to
tony sayer

There're all deceased now Mike:(....

Reply to
tony sayer

There is a program called Webbie which one of its support programs seems to play most of the bbc stations OK so it must have the current urls somewhere in it. Not sure if its using aac or what, but as you say, the bbc are it seems determined to not run a service for people that is built to last. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Their excuse for this seems tobe that as they are in charge of the last link they can move it and still keep it on the same link. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Because they are a bunch of merchant bankers to use the term. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Is this why at times radio 2 has a kind of cyclic drop out in the stream as if it was a chunk driven system but not quite seemless? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I read about the problem courtesy What HiFi's website. Google found this:

Which gives these URLs to put in VLC to get 320kbps streams:

Part Timer

The 'PDA' pages are simple and have direct links, eg:

Theo

Reply to
Theo Markettos