New battery tech?

On 16/03/2017 12:33, whisky-dave wrote:

There are only 90,000 electric cars at the moment. You can't expect a charging point outside every house.

but when they are 10 million?
tim
On 16/03/2017 18:46, tim... wrote:

There'll be lots of charging points. That's a pre-requisite for 10m people to buy the cars. Obviously, people won't buy them unless they can charge them.

except the point is that TPTB aren't considering this a problem
there is nothing in planning regulations to make sure all new properties electric car "friendly" and the current trend for as many houses as possible per acre contrives to make them less electric car friendly without even trying.
tim
On 17/03/17 11:02, tim... wrote:

TPTB doint have to interfere.
In 20 years time 'included off road parking and charging point' will be as important as 'good broadband' is today, and as other have pointed out urban populations are FAR more likely to not own a car, but to have a subscription to a driverless electric taxi service...

On Thursday, 16 March 2017 19:22:06 UTC, GB wrote:

ints

Not very close to that are we.
https://www.zap-map.com/statistics/ 4316 quite a way from 10 million. and that's in the whole country. 104,000 household in my boroguh alone.
Oh and of the 3 places that have charging point in my borough none charge f or the electric but two charge for the parking. £6.40 for 2 hours at blackhourse road.
On 17/03/2017 11:20, whisky-dave wrote:

Given that there are so few electric cars presently and so many people charge at home, one public charge point per 20 cars sounds about right to me.
In my local shopping road, all the parking places were taken yesterday afternoon, except for the two electric charging bays.
On Friday, 17 March 2017 11:35:31 UTC, GB wrote:

Check again. My borough 104,000 households total charging points in the whole country 4316.
I havent seen any private chargers locally unless they hang a lead out of their window when I'm not looking.

Makes sense but two out of how many ?
On 17/03/2017 13:02, whisky-dave wrote:

Yes, that's 20 EVs per charging point.

It's currently not a practical proposition to have an EV unless you have off-road parking where you can have your own charging point.
Given that, the demand for public charging points in a shopping street is pretty limited. Still, it's cool to have a reserved parking spot.

50?
On Friday, 17 March 2017 13:07:36 UTC, GB wrote:

Please show how you worked that out .

Which is a problem when living in inner cities isn't it.
On 17/03/2017 13:31, whisky-dave wrote:

90,000/4316 = 20 approx.

So, people who live in inner cities can add lack of EVs to their other deprivations. They can add a lack of spaces to park their ICE cars, too.
At least, though, if everyone else went over to EVs, they wouldn't be choked by smog.
On Friday, 17 March 2017 13:53:56 UTC, GB wrote:

Are plug-in cars electric cars too. The there's the private charging points and it seems to include those that donlt charge for charging but count it as parking so charge for that. I doubt anyone I n ow would be willing to drive 2 miles to park for £3 .60 and leaving it for a few hours to charge.

t of their window when I'm not looking.

ve

Yep so maybe they'll stick to fossil fuel cars.

why hasn't everyone else gone over to electric car ?

Electric heating in homes etc too, then?
--
*Why is the third hand on the watch called a second hand?

Although interesting, I wonder how much consolation it would have been to the third Tesla driver I saw arrive at Watford Gap Services recently to find that both Tesla Superchargers were already in use?
--
Today is Sweetmorn, the 3rd day of Discord in the YOLD 3183
I don't have an attitude problem.

I only personally know of one with an electric car. Its a Smart make, and IIRC, no longer made. They have a newish apartment in Central London with an underground car park, and a charging point there. Makes a good deal of sense as a car for London only use.
--
*You're just jealous because the voices only talk to me *

tim... wrote:

    How many GW of nuclear will we need?
On 16/03/17 22:39, Capitol wrote:

Up to 300GW foir a totally fossil free nation.
More likely 150-200GW is
- we stop immigration and population rise. - we get good at energy efficiency.
too dark to read.
On Thursday, 16 March 2017 18:07:18 UTC, GB wrote:

hey plug it into.

saturday too in the last 14 months h';es only been able to park outside my home ONCE and even then it's in the street I;n need to find a way of getti ng the charging cable to the car he usually has to park on the other soide of the road the last two weekend he had difficulty finding a space in the s ame road.

executives.

ts

I would expect to see at least a few locally, I wouldnlt expect to drive 2 miles to see one. It hardly encourages anyone to go electric does it. A friend is considering a new car he's a bit of a greeny but I doubt he's s tupid to get an electric car. Unless of course someone can explain to him how to get a charging point and who pays for it etc. and whther it's your own or do you share it with the rest of the block or street.
On 17/03/2017 11:10, whisky-dave wrote:

If you get a charging point installed on your property, the government pays 75% of the cost. That's then yours to use whenever needed.

As things currently stand, it would not make sense to get an EV unless your friend has space for his own charging point. If there's only one public charger in the neighbourhood, you couldn't rely on that for your daily commute.

but that will have to be commercially run - and charged for
the associated costs kindof make the attraction of an electric car somewhat financially unattractive again
tim