Too good to be true

I need to replace my busted electric lawn mower.

A guy on Craig's list is selling one, Black & Decker, with bag, that he says he used only one summer, 19", paid 300 for, and wants 50 for.

Too good to be true? Stolen? How do I tell if it is stolen?

No box, no instructions, but a lot of people throw away the box and lose the instructions. How important are the instructions as an indicator?

He wants cash only. But that's just prudent, right?

Does B&D sell a walk-behind AC-powered mower for that much, 300?

Unless he's moving soon, why would he sell so cheap? Even if he's moving, the other ones for sale, no one even emailed me back, which I presume means they sold theirs already. All for more or a lot more than $50

Reply to
Lawrence.T

B&D is totally useless if you need help or parts. Owners manual are available on line in a digital file. Everything metal begins to rust as soon as you start to use it.

We have the self propelled battery version. The lowest speed is too fast for the average user. Unit has a high rating but I'm not at all impressed.

Reply to
NotMe

Why would you care if it is stolen?

Reply to
IGot2P

Heck I got one free on Craig's List... it had a dead battery but that was no big deal to me because I worked for a battery company.

It worked but would stall out on tall grass.

I used it for a few years then went back to the push mower.

I removed the battery and just put it in the alley for the scavengers.

Reply to
philo

On Thu, 12 Jun 2014 21:16:32 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@invalid.com wrote in

You really can't tell if it's stolen. Just get a signed reciept and that will at least protect you from any criminal charge.

Right.

I don't know, but I wouldn't buy one for 1/4 that price if they did. They are useless.

Because it's junk.

Reply to
CRNG

Probably because he is honest.

  1. Buying stolen merchandise encourages thieves to keep on stealing

  1. If the owner/police finds that you have it, he gets it back but you don't get your money back.

  2. It is the right thing to do if you are a person with ethics.
Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Maybe he bought a gas powered one and just wants to get rid of the damn thing. Maybe he bought a fancy one instead and just wants to get rid of the damn thing. Maybe he has a lot of money. Maybe he just won the lottery. Maybe he tried selling it for more money, with no luck, and now he just wants to get rid of the damn thing. Maybe he had a few people say they wanted it but didn't show up. Maybe it's a trick and he'll hold you captive and ship of you off to Somalia as a slave. Maybe it's really a lonely housewife who will hold you captive and keep you as her sex slave.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

Wow. Because I'm not a thief and I don't cooperate with thieves.

And I'll never do business with you or trust anything you say. Would you, in my shoes?

Reply to
micky

Those are all good reasons. Maybe I'm too suspicious.

Reply to
micky

indicator?

He may have gotten it for free through an air pollution trade-in program. This is something you might want to check out yourself first.

I probably told this story before.... I bought a used electric mower in the mid-90's that the owner said wouldn't hold a charge. Turned out the onboard charger board was corroded and bad. The "24V" mower turned out to be two 12V batteries in series, so I disconnected the battery ground wire and charged them up one at a time with my 12V car battery charger.

The original batteries ran for another year. In the 15+ years since then I have replaced them twice at around $50 per pair and never looked back since.

Clean, quiet, no oiling, spark plug etc., no syphoning gas out of the car or exhaust.

The latest batteries are 3 years old and I can mow a 5000 sf yard 4 times on a charge before the power starts to drop off. Only drawback is that it's a push-type, but this yard is flat and I can use the excercise. And it's a LOT lighter with no gasoline engine on it.

Myself, I would not get a 110VAC corded mower because this one works just fine, and no cord to deal with.

The only other thing I have been meaning to do is to install a charging switch so that I don't have to open the cover and charge each one separately.

Charging each battery one at a time....

Charging both at the same time with a switch....

If you notice anything wrong with the wiring diagrams, please raise your hand!

Reply to
Guv Bob

[...]

Charging both at the same time with a switch.... Revised drawing slightly.... New link...

If you notice anything wrong with the wiring diagrams, please raise your hand!

Revised drawing with switch slightly.... New link...

Guv Bob

Jon Danniken posted for all of us...

And I know how to SNIP

Damn, missed another great opportunity.