ELECTRICAL LIQUID TAPE

I am looking for feedback on users of liquid electrical tape.

How durable is it compared to electrical tape ?

Does the can dry up after a few uses.

I had that experience with Plasti Dip.

Thanks.

Reply to
Andy

It's not quite as durable as good tape, and I've thrown away several almost full cans of the crap, all hardened up.

Reply to
clare

I've used it for some very selective low voltage repairs. Never on AC. I doubt it would pass code for use on AC. Tape is allowed, but I've never seen anything with regard to the liquid stuff. One obvious problem is how do you know how thick and uniform it is?

IDK how fast it dries out in the can. I've bought it for a particular use and probably didn't get back to it again for a year+. By then it was dried out.

Reply to
trader_4

The best use I have seen is to put it on a soldered splice and then slip a piece of shrink tube over it (wet) and shrink it down until the liquid squeezes out a bit.

Boat guys do it.

Reply to
gfretwell

Andy-

I find it to be somewhat messy to work with.

I used it to repair the plastic grip on an old pair of pliers. The pliers' handle had poked a hole in the end of the soft grip. It seems to be holding up, but I did have to redo the repair once.

I am still on my first can and do not use it very often. After 3 or 4 years, I think it is getting a bit thick. I do my best not to leave the lid off for long, and make sure it is tight when I close it.

I like Gfretwell's suggestion to use heat shrink over it. That seems redundant, but would make a weather tight seal that has good mechanical strength.

Fred

Reply to
Fred McKenzie

That sounds like a bumper sticker. "Boat guys do it, until..." "Boat guys do it, inside heat shrink tubing...."

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Oren posted for all of us...

And I know how to SNIP

Learn something everyday here. I will include it in my repertoire.

Reply to
Tekkie®

Thanks.

I bought a can before I read your post.

If it dries, I will get my money back.

Sometimes you have to be persistent, as most companies will not admit their mistakes. :-)

Andy

Reply to
Andy