Too good to be true?

Has anyone been brave enough to pay for info on how to "revive" cordless toll batteries that no longer hold a charge? This guy is selling this "info" On Ebay for $12.95 and has a 99.7% feedback. Can this be true?

Gene T

NiCad batteries develop a "memory". If they are charged before being fully discharged, they will ultimately sort of "think" that they should be charged sooner than before. One way to remedy that is to *fully* discharge the battery then charge. No idea if that's what is being done by the device the guy is peddling.

-- dadiOH ____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06... ...a help file of info about MP3s, recording from LP/cassette and tips & tricks on this and that. Get it at

dadiOH

buyers, selected at random from among those who bought at least a month ago, asking if they're still happy. If I get any responses, I'll post them.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Gene

If it were true, don't you think the manufacturers would have figured out how to do it and make money on the process? This smells like the infamous Fish carburetor of long ago. You know, the one that got 50-60 mpg as a bolt-on. Bob

Reply to
Bob Schmall

Hey, it works, When I added the water injector from JC Whitney, my mileage went up to 70 mpg. They I added that fan thingies under the carb, plus a special ingredient in the gas tank and I'm getting 82 mpg on a regular basis. I can't wait for the Fire Ring spark plugs to get here. My goal is to top 100 mpg.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Yeah. And you have as much chance as there is of gas hitting $3 a gallon. Oh. Whoops. That's later this summer. Maybe the new model year will have a 100 MPG hybrid.

Reply to
Charlie Self

There are ways to regenerate NiCd batteries, yes. Some are temporary, some are less temporary. If you have a Batteries Plus store near you, they'll take a battery pack in, see if the techniques work on it, and if they do, they'll charge you for the "revive". If it doesn't work, then you can buy new batteries from them.

Their advice and findings can, I think, be trusted either way, because either way they get profit out of the transaction, and I've always been doen well by them. I'd give the guy on eBay a miss; you can probably find dodgy advice on how to renew NiCd batteries on google, and it's probably just as valid.

See if your local battery house has a service like this. I just noticed last night that one of my Makita 18V paks needs this, and it's in the car today for that reason.

Dave Hinz

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Be careful, if you put too many of these add-ons on the same car you'll start making gas and the EPA will be all over you for polluting the environment when it overflows the tank anywhere near a wetlands. or a puddle of standing water. Joe

Reply to
Joe Gorman

tools. At least that's what the fellow told me in November last year.

Hm. I've used ours several times for this service. They have a tech on duty (with a glass wall so you can watch him work - I'd _HATE_ that if it was me) with all the toys. They'll put new individual cells into devices that don't have seperate packs, and all that. I suppose they're franchises so they may vary?

Reply to
Dave Hinz

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in news:%Tyue.2304$Z97.520@trndny06:

What about that magnet thingy that "aligns" the gasoline molecules for more MPG!?!?!

Oh oh... Here come the black helicopters...

Reply to
Patrick Conroy

My Batteries Plus store will not touch battery packs from cordless power = tools. At least that's what the fellow told me in November last year. Puff

Reply to
Puff Griffis

That is bad advice.

Every now and then, it is a good idea to run the battery down to about

10%. Running it all the way down practically guarantees that at least one of the cells will be fully discharged early and try to take a charge in the wrong way, causing it damage.

The "memory" effect is overblown, being difficult to actually demonstrate.

DAGS for nicad memory effect...

yours, Michael

Reply to
Michael Houghton

tools. At least that's what the fellow told me in November last year. Could be the packs you brought in were not screwed together, rather a glued-up box? At least that was the kicker for my Batteries Plus store. Tom

Reply to
tom

tools. At least that's what the fellow told me in November last year. Could be the packs you brought in were not screwed together, rather a glued-up box? At least that was the kicker for my Batteries Plus store. Tom

Any competent rebuilder should have the ability to dissasemble virtually any battery pack and rebuild it...there are at least two independent ones in Wichita I've used. Everything from early-death drill packs to antique HP calculators.

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

Ed,Ed,Ed... You've forgotten the pills that turn gas into water. Sort of a reverse Jesus with a half gainer.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Schmall

tools. At least that's what the fellow told me in November last year. Could be the packs you brought in were not screwed together, rather a glued-up box? At least that was the kicker for my Batteries Plus store. Tom

Somehow I don't think this is what the OP had in mind. The eBay scam looks more like a magic pill than a competent rebuild.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Schmall

I once picked up a hitchhiker who claimed he knew of a guy who bought a prototype Chrysler that got 80mpg. Then some guys found him and took the car back. You see, the oil companies buy up all the patents for high mileage innovations so they never see the light of day. He was the most clean-cut and rational of all the three or four hitchhikers I ever picked up. I stopped picking up hitchhikers before my 17th birthday some twenty years ago.

Reply to
Hax Planx

One of them bite you? Are you telling me that at the tender age of 18, you wouldn't have stopped for some hitchhiking cute woman in a short skirt?

Reply to
Upscale

tools. At least that's what the fellow told me in November last year. Could be the packs you brought in were not screwed together, rather a glued-up box? At least that was the kicker for my Batteries Plus store. Tom

True, I was just referring to the subthread complaint about a particular shop somewhere that was unable (or at least unwilling) to tackle a welded-plastic b-pack...

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

Never saw any. By that time both hitchhiking and picking them up was, well, let's say out of fashion. I believe I saw one in Raleigh trying to hitch a ride on the beltway once. I wanted to pick her up, but mainly because I wanted to ask her if she had lost her mind.

Reply to
Hax Planx