Too good to be true?

I heard a story about Mark Twain. It seems that he bought an automobile and had a second gas tank installed, then disconnected the regular one. He would drive into a gas station, fill the regular gas tank with water, pop a little white pill into the water-filled tank, and drive off. Don't know if it's true, but it makes a good story.

--Steve

Bob Schmall wrote:

Reply to
Steve

Come on over, I'll show you a real example. People have been saying for decades that it doesn't exist, and people have continued to experience it during all that time. A NiCd battery rejuvination produces measurable real results; if that's not from memory effect, what do you think it's from?

Reply to
Dave Hinz

They switched to curing arthritis.

Reply to
dadiOH

I emailed the owner and asked:

Hello Rick, just to let you know, your auction for the battery technique is being discussed in rec.woodworking... You could pop in there and explain it as a genuine way to save memory choked batteries if you want, but if what you are selling is merely a link to site that shows a way to connect wires in a specific way and it works, do you think it is really worth $12.95? --(me)

Reply to
AAvK

Resurrection? Is this the "Second Coming"?

Seems over the top and awfully pretentious. What procedure for TRYING to save a bad battery pack warrants a patent? When I've had bad battery packs, I've found dead cells. There's no hocus pocus that's gonna bring those dead cells back to life.

Was it PT Barnum that said...?

Any chance the "feedback" is bogus?

Even if Doug gets an email back, why couldn't it be coming from a shill?

Dave

AAvK wrote:

Reply to
David

The site says "patent pending"...

There is no patent.

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

> Gene

Reply to
CW

In the early 70's , I was more interested in HP than MPG.

I stuck this "cool can" gizmo between the tank and the carb of my Boss 302 (wish I had that today). It was sort of like a mini "still" with an aluminum tube coiled around the inside of an insulated can - maybe 10 inch diameter. The idea was that you fill the can with ice, or better dry ice, and then run your honey at the local strip. It was to increase the density of the gas. You know, more cc's passing through the pump at any given moment.

Don't think that it did anthing, but it sure looked "cool" when when it was smokin' from the dry ice when I popped the hood.

Lou

Reply to
loutent

yeah. It sounds "patently" hoky. :)

Dave

Dave Balderst> >

Reply to
David

Be very careful with this one. I installed one backwards by mistake and my MPG decreased by 35%. Called J.C. Whitney and they straightened me out. Said to either R&R the magnet properly or drive backwards to achieve the higher MPG

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

For the record, neither the copyright or the patent office verifies that something works, just that it's unique enough. I have no information or comment on whatever this process is, but I want to point out that that doesn't mean it's been validated by those offices.

Me, I'll stick with Batteries Plus.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Please provide a credible cite for this. We'll get into the chemical limitations once you do that. "I heard a guy say a friend of a friend said" isn't a cite, by the way.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Hey, you keep adding stuff like that, eventually you are going to have to stop every several miles and siphon off some gas so the tank doesn't overflow. :-)

Mark & Juanita

The manufacturers really don't seem to be doing too badly, as far as I can see. I picked up an 05 Ford Focus last week because my van was on it's deathbed, and it's getting 30-35 mpg with the AC running on max constantly. According to the owner's manual, it will get up to 51 mpg under optimal circumstances- and it's got almost no emissions. The downside is that I opened the hood, and realized that I will probably never be able to work on the thing- it looks more like some kind of spaceship than any engine I'm accustomed to.

Nice little car, though. Came with one of those Japan-esque warranties, too. 5yrs/75,000mi bumper-to-bumper, and 100,000mi warranty on the drive train.

Reply to
Prometheus

Google on "revive NiCad battery" and you'll discover that (apparently) there

*is* such hocus pocus.

Of course. However, there's an awful lot of it. Which means that someone went to an awful lot of trouble to create it.

I did get one response. Yes, it could be coming from a shill. Doesn't sound like it IMO, though:

"Hello! Yes, it works well-but not on all batteries. Firstly, you need to be able to access the individual cells. Using a 10-12 volt source battery(9 is too weak I've found) you "zap" each dead cell-most are revived and can then be charged. Some won't work at all and some don't hold it. However, the first one (an 18 volt Milwaukee battery) that had several bad cells has held 20 volts for several weeks. Others have not held it. You can always take the remaining good cells from an otherwise bad battery overall for use later (SOLDERING SKILLS HELP). He also has a new "quick" method that is easier but doesn't always work. Easily worth the $13 for one battery if you ask me. "

Reply to
Doug Miller

Its nothing to do with the voltage, a supply as low as approx 1.5v would easily suffice, its current you need - lots of it. Basically you are removing internal hair like growths that short the positive and negative sides of the individual cells.

On the "memory effect", if correctly applied it only occurred in *ONE* specific application back in the 1960's (a communications satellite) that precisely controlled charge and discharge cycles. A similar effect is observed by the consumer but its not memory effect.

Read the Nicad faq for the full story (yes I know it says memory effect does occur but its just semantics)

No Spam

That should have read "CARBONATOR" What it did was to carbonate the gasoline (like Coca Cola) then when the gasoline was compressed in the cylinder & ignited, the extra pressure resulting from the release of CO2 from the carbonated gas would give more power!

Only problem was that it would make the engine burp & gurgle at times.

Reply to
Lawrence Wasserman

It could also be the Ol' "reverse zap" method. Using a 12v car battery, zap the NiCad for a split-second with the polarity reversed. ie. +ve cable to

+ve terminal on car-battery *and* NiCAD, -ve to -ve. I zap 'em two or three times, with pauses in-between to ensure nothing over-heats.

I've done this several times with NiCads that were past their prime, and it works, ort of. About 1/4 of the NiCads I've done to date recovered and worked well for a while, about another 1/4 recharged OK once or twice then turned toes up again and the rest stayed parrots.

As they were cactus dominictus anyway, I wasn't concerned about damaging 'em *but* I've learned a thing or two since then and have stopped doing it.

Damaging the car battery is a very real possibilty... so are exploding NiCads. Be warned, it ain't worth it.

Reply to
Andy McArdle

Well, when I worked in a biomedical engineering lab years ago, we had a battery rejuvinator for NiCd defib batteries. It'd do a milliamp-hour check first, then do it's cycle pattern, and then do another analysis afterwards. Some batteries got drastically better, some stayed bad. So, from this, I deduce that memory effect _is_ real in NiCd, and given the proper equipment and/or technique, you _can_ get some of them back.

Right, that technique has been around forever. I can see how he claims copyright for his procedure document, but the fact that he claims to hold patent in the auction, yet his site says "patent pending", shows that something is fishy. The medical-grade battery rejuvinators use a charge/discharge cycle pattern rather than a capacitive discharge into the battery, by the way. Physio-Control was/is the manufacturer, if you're interested in googling for details.

Maybe, but probably the same "discharge a cap into it and hope for the best" that you'll find for free with any search engine.

Dave Hinz

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Unquestionably Confused wrote in news:DQJue.3357$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr17.news.prodigy.com:

Yeahbut it should'a worked fine if you moved to New Zealand, right?

Reply to
Patrick Conroy