Improvised soakaway?

Got a slight problem round the back of my parents house.

The path/paved area separating the back of my parents house from the garden has nowhere for the water to run off. The path/paving slopes to the centre of the house and away, but there's a raised bed between the path and the lawn, so the water just pools up in the middle, until it slowly drains away between the cracks in the paving.

This isn't a problem during light rain, but in the event of a heavy storm takes time. Plus, I've been trying to jetwash the path to get rid of the winter moss, and had to give up as I was just padding in muddy water.

Heres a pic following my attempts to Jetwash (raised bed on the right)

To be fair, the paving could do with relaying, but as they're probably going to be selling the property in a couple of years don't want to spend the money.

I was therefore wondering if I could improvise a soakaway by removing one of the slabs, digging a hole underneath and filling with gravel and placing the slab back on top, to give water somewhere to drain to.

Would that work? Don't really want to be doing tons of digging, or relaying of slabs.

Reply to
Simon T

yes if big enough. Not sure one slab would do, but it would help.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Simon T formulated on Tuesday :

It depends upon the sub soil. Once in the soak away, it needs to then have somewhere to go - a clay sub soil would just collect it. You could just use a submersible pump, in a suitable buried catch tank, if the water was first filtered to stop the larger items getting in. Just turn the pump on when needed.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield