New battery tech?

Would be nice if some of this turned out to be true. http://spectrum.ieee.org/energywise/energy/renewables/does-new-glass-battery-accelerate-the-end-of-oil
Tim
--
Please don't feed the trolls

Interesting. I see they're claiming the battery will charge in minutes rather than hours.
Say a typical car petrol tank holds 12 gallons. 1 gallon of petrol has an energy equivalent of 33.4kWh https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gasoline_gallon_equivalent
So a typical car petrol tank contains an energy equivalent of about 400kWh. If that were to be replaced by a battery storage system, which was wanted to be recharged in say 5 minutes (one twelfth of an hour), as is done now with a petrol filling system, that would require a power input of 4800kW (400x12). At 1000 amps that would be 4800 volts (assuming my logic and numbers are correct, which they may not be!).
I'd be interested to see the forecourt of the future!
But I imagine things would no longer be done that way. If those batteries are truly reliable, then an exchange system would probably be the way things would go. Or perhaps an induction system, where you just drive in, position your car over an induction plate and let it charge, with no electrical linkages at all.
--

Chris

On Tue, 14 Mar 2017 11:47:39 +0000 (GMT+00:00), jim <k> wrote:

Well, of course. That's what happens now, but the problem arises when you want to drive further than the capacity of your battery will allow, and you have to re-charge en route.

Car petrol engines around about 20% max, a bit more for diesel. Probably triple that for electric cars, so by implication only half the equivalent tank capacity needed. But that still leaves some pretty hefty amps/volts needed for charging. See https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/evtech.shtml for some numbers.
--

Chris

On 14/03/2017 12:07, Chris Hogg wrote:

Surely, triple => one-third capacity needed?
If you add in that electric cars tend to have regenerative braking and so on, it gets better still.
One way petrol engines score is that they use waste heat for warming the passengers.

Yes, absolutely correct. The initial figures I found suggested a factor of two difference, but later I found the factor of three, but I omitted to correct that bit.
--

Chris

On 14/03/2017 13:42, Chris Hogg wrote:

Sorry to be pedantic. :)
Anyway, it seems that an electric car with a fully charged 100kWh battery should be able to do much the same range as a petrol car on a single tank. Glancing at Tesla, they are claiming about 300 mile range for their cars with the biggest batteries. That would suit me fine, as 4 hours is my absolute maximum drive.

it's not that simple though, is it
if you were visiting me for the weekend there is nowhere you could recharge your car when you arrive
so your battery has to be good for the round trip
(FTAOD I live on on of these "modern" estates where nobody has a drive and everyone parks on the road. And I live on the second floor so running a cable out of the window isn't practical either)
tim

Plenty live many miles from a filling station too.
--
*It sounds like English, but I can't understand a word you're saying.

Think you have to be even more careful with the claimed range of an electric car than you do with a maker's petrol MPG figures. ;-)
--
*When the chips are down, the buffalo is empty*

Not a problem. Happy to be corrected.

The point I wanted to make was that in order to charge an electric car battery in times comparable with filling the tank with petrol, you'd need an awful lot of amps at an awful lot of volts.
--

Chris

On 14/03/2017 15:35, Chris Hogg wrote:

Tesla claims that you can get a 50% charge in 20 minutes at one of their super-fast chargers. That sounds like around 100kW = 400 amps at 240v, which seems rather high.

Yes, I agree with those figures. OK if you want to stop at a service station and pop in for a coffee while you wait, but at busy times there's often a queue for the normal petrol pumps, and they have a fairly rapid turnover, so what it would be like with a twenty minute wait I shudder to think.
--

Chris

On 14/03/17 19:03, Chris Hogg wrote:

Exactly. But you can charge a li-ion battery - if its designed for it - in about 6 minutes, Gets a bit hot of course.
let them."
On Tuesday, 14 March 2017 20:28:28 UTC, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Which will add to global warming if 1000s are doing it day in day out. Might be a few cool explosions too.
On Wednesday, 15 March 2017 15:20:07 UTC, whisky-dave wrote:

Most people will slow charge by night at home.
On 15/03/2017 16:35, harry wrote:

You greens hope they will or the grid falls down.
You charge by night rather than using your solar panels don't you. Not very green doing that.

you can't take your solar panels to the office with you
--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

More likely he charges by night using his solar panels. After all, there *is* the moon, isn't there (sometimes)?
--
There's no obfuscated Perl contest because it's pointless.

- Jeff Polk
On Wednesday, 15 March 2017 16:56:58 UTC, dennis@home wrote:

Iuse my solar panels in Summer and sunny days in Winter. Otherwise by night on economy seven.
On Wednesday, 15 March 2017 16:35:30 UTC, harry wrote:

Most people as yet don't have that facility and even them will their CU and cabling be up to it on a large scale. Outside my flat you'll be lucky to find a parking space.